Rookie

Spectrum Email SUPERVISOR & IT TECH needed

Hello,

Since Spectrum updated/changed their webmail, I have had problems with my 3rd party email.  Every week for the past 5 to 6 weeks, Spectrum LOCKS my email, and I must change my Password to get into my email accounts.  Spectrum claims there is suspecious activity.

History: #1  I have had Time Warner Cable Road Runner Internet & TV for over 20 years and NEVER had an email problem until Spectrum.  #2 I have used Netscape 7.3, which is a 3rd party email service for 20 years without any problems.   #3 I do computer tech work for my friends and family, so I'm computer savy, and my computers are clean and free of viruses.

About 3 weeks ago, I called and spoke with a Supervisor named Cody, told him all of the above, and asked if Spectrum IT Department could add a query for Netscape 7.3.  He monitored my email for a week, and called back and agreed with me:  There was NO suspecious activity on my email account, but Spectrum was not 'shaking hands' with Netscape 7.3.

He asked if I could use Spectrum Webmail, and I said 'no,' for several reasons: It's slow, plus it doesn't suit my needs for various address books as well as other reasons.

Spectrum Email Supervisor, would you PLEASE take the flag off of my Netscape 7.3 email account so I don't have to spend 30 minutes a week changing my password. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum Email SUPERVISOR & IT TECH needed

Hi @TheBreeze 

Forums are intended for peer to peer support.  There are a few questions I have to begin.

You are forwarding your RR email to a Netscape email address or using the Netscape Email client. You said both in the post so I wanted to clarify.

It is my undersanding that this program is no longer supported. I would actually suggest changing to a more recently released email client. You should be able to export your contact list and save your emails locally on your computer. 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  I am not forwarding my emails; I am using Netscape as my email client.   I cannot find a 3rd party email client that allows both unlimited 'address books' with unlimited number of contacts.   If you or anyone reading this forum knows of such an email client, I would like to know.

If Time Warner Cable didn't have a problem with my outdated Netscape email for 20 years, why didn't it transfer as 'okay' with Spectrum?  I was told my Cody, the Supervisor the security was basically the same system.

Again, thank you for your time.

Regards.

D.A.

Sharer

Have you tried Thunderbird? Used that for a while back when we got forced off of WinXP. Don't recall it having any restrictions on address books. The server that a list is going through may impose some restrictions though. Just saying... it isn't always a one-sided restriction causing issues.
Trusted Helper

@RAIST5150 wrote:
Have you tried Thunderbird? Used that for a while back when we got forced off of WinXP. Don't recall it having any restrictions on address books. The server that a list is going through may impose some restrictions though. Just saying... it isn't always a one-sided restriction causing issues  .

My Thoughts,

Mozilla Netscape, became Firefox years and years ago.  I would be concerned about using Netscape being such outdated technology.  I recommend free non-ISP based email to everyone.  Either Gmail. Yahoo Mail, or Outlook.com.  Get a modern browser, such as Edge (Windows 10)  Firefox, or Chrome, and a good pop-up blocker for each browser to block the banner ads,  I recommend Ad Block Plus.  Have only one pop-up blocker in each browser, because more than one will conflict.

Outlook.com will give you Microsoft One Drive Free Office Access, and Google Drive will give you their free Office Suite when you sign up for their respective email free services.  The main reasons why I don't endorse ISP based email providers is two-fold:

1.) Cable providers were never intended to be email providers.  They are now TV, Internet, Landline/Voice, and Voice Mobile technologies.  Email is not their bag.  And Spectrum is only providing the old TWC Road-Runner Client as a courtesy to subs who still have accounts, in some cases business accounts with them.  The cable provider keeping their email servers up-to-date and secure is not exactly high on the priority list.

2.) If Spectrum decides to drop all email services, subs are going to be forced to change over or lose all their address book contacts.  In contrast, a free web-mail provider like Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com will be updated often, and will stay with you for the rest of your life.

What Operating System are you running?  If it's Windows, I would strongly recommend Windows 10 with one of the modern browsers, and Ad Block Plus for best security.  Windows XP and anything below and Netscape are no longer supported systems and you are putting your data at risk by using them.  Even Windows 7, goes off of Extended Support next year.  Use a free Webmail Provider with one ad blocker in each modern browser with a modern Windows Operating System.

Satch