Observer

Spectrum Email - Forwarding email and SPAM

Suppose I have two email addresses :
acct1@tx.rr.com
acct2@tx.rr.com

Email address acct2@tx.rr.com FORWARDs *all* email to acct1@tx.rr.com.

If spam email is sent to acct2@tx.rr.com, when does Spectrum's spam filters kick in:
1) BEFORE the email is forwarded to acct1@tx.rr.com OR
2) Is it forwarded blindly and filtered before it hits the INBOX of acct1@tx.rr.com

3 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Spectrum Email - Forwarding email and SPAM

I'm no email server expert, but I'm pretty sure the spam filter would work the same on both accounts. An outside sender of spam to acct2 is not being flagged as spam, then acct2 forwards to acct1, but acct1 would likely recognize acct2 as a legit sender and would not flag as spam.

Also, if acct2 didn't flag as spam why would acct1 flag as spam?

Observer

"Also, if acct2 didn't flag as spam why would acct1 flag as spam?"

Exactly ... acct2 is a proxy/throw away account, it is supposed to trap as much spam as possible, it doesn't catch anything!  In fact, the junk folder is ALWAYS empty.  Emails that are blatant spam are being forwarded to the secondary account (acct1) which also doesn't catch anything, no surprise there.

I've had this setup for a while then sometime around mid Jan 2019, I started getting spam in my inbox on acct1.

Spectrum support is worthless,  their solution:

1) Don't use the "Report Spam" button

2) Use "block" sender/domain. Both of which are fake and change dynamically with each spam email. 

Yeah really !!!

Helper

I don't use Spectrum email but it sounds to me (based on from many posts like yours and others) like they aren't really putting adequate resources towards maintaining the email servers and updating spam filters. In fact, most of us are going to recommend that you use a dedicated, free, web-based email like gmail, yahoo, etc. They keep up with all of this and you have the added benefit of not being stuck with one provider just because you don't want to lose an email address.