Newcomer

Re: SPAM starting up again - Source: u8oyoqag@appspiece.org.leading-mail-for694.dashpan.co.us

Might as well add me to the list of People getting spam from this bot. Getting roughly 2-10 a day.

Not sure what Spectrum is using for spam filtering, but its trash. The most basic server side Spam filter would catch these obvious spam mails all day.

Browser

Re: SPAM starting up again - Source: u8oyoqag@appspiece.org.leading-mail-for694.dashpan.co.us

All I can say is that it's pretty sad when I get spam from a spoofed rr.com address, like I got this morning from nc.rr.com.

The dashpan stuff is till coming thru regularly, but this one from a roadrunner address just takes the cake

Lead Moderator

What can I do if I’m Getting Excessive Amounts of Spam?

If you’re receiving hundreds or thousands of spam messages a day, this may be a sign that you are a victim of fraud. Criminals who have stolen your payment information (credit cards, PayPal, etc.) often try to flood your inbox with spam messages in hopes that you won't notice legitimate emails about transactions you didn’t authorize. If you’ve received excessive amounts of spam email, you should:

• Check all of your online accounts and verify recent transactions. You should change your password, too.
  • Check the boxes next to the spam messages and mark them as spam.
  • If possible, add senders to the blocked senders list.
  • If you can identify the source of the spam, you can configure your router to prevent incoming packets from that address.
  • You can also contact the sites you've identified to alert them to the spamming activity.
  • If you need assistance with any of these matters, please contact us.

What Should I Do if I Receive a Spoofed or Phishing Email?

If you received a spoofed email claiming to be from Charter Communications, don't alter the email and forward the email in its entirety, including email header information to phishing@charter.net .

If you received a spoofed email claiming to be from a company other than Charter Communications, forward the email in its entirety to the company that is being spoofed. Most organizations also have information on their websites about reporting unwanted communications or abuse.

You should also forward the phishing email to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov and the Anti-Phishing Working Group at reportphishing@antiphishing.org.

For more information about phishing, visit:

What Should I Do if I Responded to a Phishing Email?

Responding to a phishing email may or may not lead to identity theft. As a safety precaution, contact the three credit reporting bureaus below, and place a fraud alert on your credit report. Initial fraud alerts last for 90 days.

Each credit reporting agency has established a nationwide toll-free number for reporting potential fraud:

• Equifax: (800) 525-6285
  • Experian: (888) 397-3742
  • TransUnion: (800) 680-7289

Placing a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies entitles you to a free copy of your credit report. Review your credit report carefully and look for suspicious activity. You should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission as well. The complaint form for the FTC can be found here.

For more information on Email Security, Spam and Phishing you can visit:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/email-security/

Regards,

Julia 

Browser

I only receive one or two a day now because of my own efforts to control spam. I am not a victim of phishing, altho' many have tried. My email program's filters work just fine however, I never thought to add an "rr.com" address to my spam filters.

I have sent along the offending email the the address recommended. The blocked senders function in webmail here is practically non-functional, so I don't use it I use the one in Thunderbird which has now been trained very well.

It seems to me, the technicians at Charter should be able to configure their routers to prevent incoming packets from the offending sources. How hard would it be to find dashpan....

I have previously sent along offending emails to the FTC. I just wish someone there would fix this. For many months everything was quiet. In my case it's not as bad as it was, but certainly not acceptable when you get "phised" by yyour own domain.

Highlighted

During the past week, the same SPAM has started up again on only one of my accounts. 

Despite training and blocking the SPAM, it keeps coming.

If SpamCop's tracing is accurate, the email is coming from Charter.

Participant

I am also getting one to two spam emails per day. So the volume has dropped considerably. However, I wanted to share this and maybe @Julia_R can pass this on to the appropriate tech team.

I have been using the View Headers button in the webmail interface and one thing has been consistent,  throughout the spam onslaught from last year and into this year.

For me, the Sender field is ALWAYS the below:

Sender: marine-embassy-guard-association.promo4u.pro

Maybe someone else on this thread  can confirm.

To view email headers in webmail:

1. Select the check box on the spam email (do not open it, of course!)

2. From the menu ribbon, click on the "View Header" button  (next to the help icon)

3.  Look for the "Sender" field, it is between the "Return-Path:" and "Subject:" fields

Also,  the spoofed domain for From field has changed to nc.rr.com.   The filters in settings can't stop any of this as Sender is not a filter option.

Browser

I get the same thing as you do....and I find Spectrum/Charter indifferent to the needs of their users. I have one or two spam a day the same a you. I send every one to phishing@charter.net. Maybe some tech will get tired of receiving them. I also send them to the feds who probably have more to do than address this issue.

You would think that handing them the evidence would prompt someone to take some action, aside from the fact that spam controls in their own webmail doesn't work properly.  But, to my mind the "nc.rr.com" thing just takes the cake

Participant

Oh no ... is it starting back up again?

Spam on all my accounts are ticked up today 2/13/20, once again.  Up to yesterday, its been trickling  in daily but still tolerable, today ... not so much.

Plus, my financial institution sent me *snail* mail saying that I need to update my email address as notifications are bouncing back.

This is getting to be too much,  starting to look around for a decent paid email provider.   The "free" email service providers aren't really free Smiley Wink . Any recommendations besides Fastmail?

Valued Contributor

Did you take a look at Protonmail? I use their free service, and am yet to get a single spam email in three years (but then my contact list is small: only five persons!).

Here is the comparison of its different plans:

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/paid-plans/