Participant

Recent Spectrum Email problem

I've noticed email interruptions during the last three days in the afternoon ET which is very unusal at least for me. During the outage these 2 servers are not reachable by ping which my accounts use and I suspect is the problem. (mail.twc.com and pop-server.rochester.rr.com) I mainly use Gmail but still have important work still flowing through Roadrunner on a reglar basis. I have multiple accounts with same problem and verified outages with other roadrunner users during the same time period. The outages seem to last less than an hour then the servers become reachable again and email starts working. I'm aware it is a legacy email system but is still in production and until a proper decommision is done Spectrum owns it. Like I said it has been solid and have only noticed a handful of outages over 5 years until the last 3 days.  I don't think a help desk call would get to the root cause so perhaps one of the moderators could look into this.

6 REPLIES 6
Trusted Helper

Re: Recent Spectrum Email problem

@wickerberry wrote:

I've noticed email interruptions during the last three days in the afternoon ET which is very unusal at least for me. During the outage these 2 servers are not reachable by ping which my accounts use and I suspect is the problem. (mail.twc.com and pop-server.rochester.rr.com) I mainly use Gmail but still have important work still flowing through Roadrunner on a reglar basis. I have multiple accounts with same problem and verified outages with other roadrunner users during the same time period. The outages seem to last less than an hour then the servers become reachable again and email starts working. I'm aware it is a legacy email system but is still in production and until a proper decommision is done Spectrum owns it. Like I said it has been solid and have only noticed a handful of outages over 5 years until the last 3 days.  I don't think a help desk call would get to the root cause so perhaps one of the moderators could look into this.

Hello,

The problem is that Roadrunner email is a legacy TWC product that is no longer being supported by Spectrum.  While users who switch to Spectrum accounts can keep their TWC Roadrunner email, the service is provided only on an "as-is" basis with no more security updates and support enhancements to Roadrunner.

This issue is compounded by the fact that Roadrunner email is now fifteen years old.  For best results, a switch to a free Web Mail provider will be accessible to you on any device with an Internet connection and always up-to-date in terms of security.   You will have it for life. Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook.com are all free and will provide a much better security and reliability component than Roadrunner , only needing to log in periodically to keep your account active.

The only other thing you would need with any webmail provider is an ad blocker for each of your browsers.  Get one and only one if you don't have an ad-blocker already,  I would recommend Ad Block Plus.

Satch

Participant

Thank you for the reply and I assume you are not a Spectrum employee. If you have anything about email support could please post a policy from Spectrum stating their current  position for Roadrunner email, I do see pages on their site dedicated to email issues. I realize it is legacy and also use Gmail as I mentioned but is hard for me to believe with thousands of people on the platform they no longer address down email servers or provide any support at all to the platform. 

Trusted Helper

@wickerberry wrote:

Thank you for the reply and I assume you are not a Spectrum employee. If you have anything about email support could please post a policy from Spectrum stating their current  position for Roadrunner email, I do see pages on their site dedicated to email issues. I realize it is legacy and also use Gmail as I mentioned but is hard for me to believe with thousands of people on the platform they no longer address down email servers or provide any support at all to the platform. 

Hey Wicker,

Yes, just a regular Spectrum customer like yourself.  However, I have about thirty years of experience with the cable technology and products and have answered a lot of questions about Road Runner email.

Just to clarify- Spectrum WILL work to fix downed email problems as best they can.  However, they no longer support the Roadrunner accounts.  Support meaning, that there will be no more features or security enhancements to Road Runner Email.

Historically, Cable TV, Dish Providers, and U-Verse were never intended to be email support personnel   The focus was always specific to cable TV, High Speed Internet, and Phone,  With the excellent quality of the free email services mentioned above, and the ability to access them on any device, the focal point of all of these vendors was to emphasize  TV, Internet, Telephone, Mobile, and the forthcoming cloud-based  DVR technologies.  Because the Webmail services kept getting better and better, it made less sense for TV vendors and ISP vendors to support ISP-based email as much as they did in the past.

What they didn't want to do was terminate ISP email completely because just as you mentioned above, there are potentially thousands of legacy ISP-based emails that are still used by businesses each day, so they still need to check and make sure that the data-communication relays are working.  There just won't be any new interface updates or new security features added to the legacy Roadrunner anymore, because of its age,

Satch

Participant

Thanks again for your response maybe someone from Spectrum will see this and let the correct people know at least 2 of their email servers have had recent intermittent outages during the day so is probably unplanned. 

Trusted Helper

@wickerberry wrote:

Thanks again for your response maybe someone from Spectrum will see this and let the correct people know at least 2 of their email servers have had recent intermittent outages during the day so is probably unplanned. 

Oh I forgot,

Spectrum needs to know your City, State, and Zip to localze the aea where Roadrunner is being problematic at this time.

Satch

Participant

Yes my city is Rochester, NY zip code 14626

The same two servers were unreachable again early Tuesday morning for about 30 minutes which was the 4th time in 5 days but I haven't seen the problem since that time  maybe Spectrum took notice.