Not Receiving Certain Emails

I have been having a problem in that I am not receiving certain emails, some of which used to work. Spectrum service reps are clueless.

1. SSA.gov requires dual authentication to log in. You enter user id and password. It then sends you a code via email that you enter to get all the way in to the Social Security web site. Used to work but it stopped in fall 2018. Unsatisfactory solution: changed to AOL email account.

2. Steam.com - ditto.

3. TCM community. Set up new account 8/26/19. Authentication email sent. Never came. Changed to AOL email account. Arrived immediately.

4. Auto policy renews annually on 8/1.  Usually start getting notifications in June and July. This year? Nothing. Called company 8/28/19 asking if my policy had been cancelled. "No, and we've been sending renewal emails and most recently a billing draft notification." AOL email account to the rescue.

What else am I not receiving?

The common theme to all of these is that they are system generated. Any  techies know what's going on? Spectrum very nonchalant attitude leaving it up to me to work with these entities. Like I'm going to get to speak with someone at SSA.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: Not Receiving Certain Emails

@TomConcolino wrote:

I have been having a problem in that I am not receiving certain emails, some of which used to work. Spectrum service reps are clueless.

1. SSA.gov requires dual authentication to log in. You enter user id and password. It then sends you a code via email that you enter to get all the way in to the Social Security web site. Used to work but it stopped in fall 2018. Unsatisfactory solution: changed to AOL email account.

2. Steam.com - ditto.

3. TCM community. Set up new account 8/26/19. Authentication email sent. Never came. Changed to AOL email account. Arrived immediately.

4. Auto policy renews annually on 8/1.  Usually start getting notifications in June and July. This year? Nothing. Called company 8/28/19 asking if my policy had been cancelled. "No, and we've been sending renewal emails and most recently a billing draft notification." AOL email account to the rescue.

What else am I not receiving?

The common theme to all of these is that they are system generated. Any  techies know what's going on? Spectrum very nonchalant attitude leaving it up to me to work with these entities. Like I'm going to get to speak with someone at SSA.

The problem is the following:

Cable providers were never intended to be email providers.  (They are TV, Phone, Internet, and Mobile personal, but not email.) They are only providing average limited email support as a general courtesy to legacy TWC/ Road Runner accounts.  Even the AOL foundation is so dated.  That's the issue with ISP accounts, if they stop providing, you will lose your email account associated with them.

My recommendation is to dump Spectrum email.  Switch to a web-mail provider of your choosing:  Outlook.com, Yahoo Mail, or Gmail.com.  All accessible from any device around the world, you will have that chosen account for the rest of your life.  Security and interface is modern.  Just make sure that you get an Ad Blocker for each web browser to deal with the ads.  I recommend Ad Block Plus.  Outlook.com will give you a free One Drive Account, and Gmail will give you a free Google Drive Account (Great Online Office Suites.)  Gmail gives more storage for free than Microsoft (15GB instead of 5GB.)  I would not use Spectrum for email anymore.

If you are not getting emails, best suggestion would be put the address domain into your address book, but if you have done this with Spectrum Mail to no avail, than all the more reason to switch to a free web mail provider.  Just get your ad-blocker before you sign up for the service.  With web mail, you will be able to get your messages from anywhere in the world.

Satch