Newcomer

Re: Is anyone else getting more spams in their old @roadrunner.com?

I am! I have 2 email addresses on my account. One of them I use for many things. But the other is only used for 2 bank accounts online and 1 credit card. Suddenly at the start of the year I began to receive spam that I never did before. Sometimes up to 7 or 8 per day. At first I thought it was after ordering goods from a new website -  that maybe they sold my email address. But then, as mentioned, I realized it was happening to the other email as well. I never use it anywhere online. 

I have seen that Spectrum in the past has blamed the email utility that people use to download emails to their computer. But these spam emails are in the inbox of the Spectrum webmail site. They are not going to the spam folder. And honestly, I used to check that folder periodically to be sure something legitmate didn't end up there. And don't recall seeing this much previously.

I believe it started shortly after the Jan. 1, 2019. It's like they turned off a filter on their end around that time.

ant
Established Sharer

I noticed the webmail doesn't seem to catch any spams too! I think it is broken! Smiley Sad

Rookie

I have also been getting spam emails to each of my 4 roadrunner email addresses the last few weeks. 1 account is used frequently and usually gets some spam. 1 address is used for family and friends and rarely got spam. The other 2 addresses were set up for a specific purpose,  and NEVER got any spam.  Now ALL of them get the same spam. So what's up Spectrum? Why are ALL our email addresses now vulnerable?

Observer

Ditto - spam started Jan 11
Observer

I called customer service. A supervisor suggested I go to the old mail domain "mail.twc.com" and log in there, which I did. In that domain there is a "Report SPAM" button at the top which you can use to report checked emails. He hoped that might reset a broken filter, we will see.

i
Rookie

I’ve been getting them more frequently too at my @Austin.rr.com address. Started more frequently around Christmas time. Subjects ranged from yummy gummys, CBD Oil, loans, warranty, Santa, Keto Diet, blood pressure, etc.

I tried to use the filter that if a sender contained the names they commonly use then it would delete the email but doesn’t work well.

These emails would usually be grouped together but appear they are sent within an hour of each other.

Newcomer

Mine started on January 12th with all three accounts on kc.rr.com getting at least 2 identical spams per day.  Apparently, Spectrum has sold, or given away all the valid email addressed on roadrunner.  Also, trying to get removed from the list that the email links to does not work.

ant
Established Sharer

@billygene wrote:

Mine started on January 12th with all three accounts on kc.rr.com getting at least 2 identical spams per day.  Apparently, Spectrum has sold, or given away all the valid email addressed on roadrunner.  Also, trying to get removed from the list that the email links to does not work.

Or even hacked as shown in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32262320- post. BTW, don't bother to unsubscribe from those unexpected random spams since that would confirm your e-mail addresses are valid to spammers to reuse. Smiley Sad Only do that if you DID sign up on that mailing list like Charter's (e.g., this forum thread that I subscribed to).

Browser

Jan 2019 - HIGH levels of SPAM on Spectrum EMAIL.

I recently started using my Spectrum/Roadrunner(@tx.rr.com) email address.
About 2-3 weeks ago (Jan 2019) I started receiving blatant spam emails in my INBOX and none in the spam folder.

NOTE: My settings are enabled to move SPAM to the SPAM FOLDER!

Over this time I have tried marking the emails as SPAM but that doesn't have any effect. Nothing makes it into the spam folder which is *always* empty!

Initially, I tried blocking the Sender/Domains WHICH DOES NOT WORK because the domains are fake and are PREPENDED with varying characters. I have included some of the fake domains below that I have "blocked", as an example.

In the sample below, yaliyam.loan is prepended with 5 varing characters to create a new fake domain with a possible new TLD.

Spectrums awful email software does not support wildcards for domain blocks!!

So I can't block it with:
@*yaliyam.loan or @*yaliyam.science OR
*yaliyam.loan or *yaliyam.science

Spectrum domain blocking settings only allow a full domain with no wildcards e.g.
5fvytyaliyam.loan
bqzzsyaliyam.loan

EXAMPLE of FAKE DOMAINS
------------------------------------------------
5fvytyaliyam.loan
bqzzsyaliyam.loan
muxwxyaliyam.loan
ncrcxyaliyam.loan
dic1wgifttrack.trade
hijlygifttrack.trade
mgqagtrackinfo.science
msizeyaliyam.science

I called support and got a nice polite person but could not understand this and kept prattling on about how to stay safe on the internet and telling me to use the "block" feature and not the "Report Spam"!!

After reading this thread from users in kc.rr.com, nc.rr.com,ca.rr.com, tx.rr.com domains, it sounds like this is pretty widespread.  I wonder if Spectrum/Roadrunner has been hacked and all email addresses stolen.

I am hoping that someone at Spectrum sees these posts and escalates this up the chain to their IT team.

Browser

Yes! I'm glad I'm not alone. I was fortunate to only ever get maybe 1 spam email a year before but now I get several a day and it also all started like 2 weeks ago. I use the rr.com email for work and since I use an alternate app for it, I have to constantly log into webmail to "block" and "report spam".