ant
Established Sharer

Re: Is anyone else getting more spams in their old @roadrunner.com?

Now, I have two spam e-mails and one legit e-mail from Spectrum@email.spectrum.com ("Reminder: Updates to your Spectrum Webmail") in my inbox. No caught spams into Junk Mail folder.

Browser

@CaptainNemo   I totally agree,  the silence from SPECTRUM on this topic is deafening!!!

It might get their attention if folks posted what is happening on twitter or facebook!

Just a thought as I don't think they monitor this forum.

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Good morning. 

You may receive spam for a variety of reasons. For example, if you've used your email address to sign up for an online service or posted your email address on a public webpage, it could be copied and used for unsolicited mail or distributed to other spammers.

You can reduce the amount of spam you receive by doing the following. 

• Don't open message attachments from unknown sources and don't purchase anything from spam messages. Simply delete spam messages without opening them.
  • Create a filter or rule for your inbox to delete unwanted messages.
  • If you receive a suspicious email, mark the message as spam so that similar messages can be blocked in the future.
  • Spectrum email has a built-in spam filtering system. All emails flagged and moved to the spam folder will be automatically reported to help refine our filtering system. Messages are permanently deleted from the Spam folder after 14 days and after three days in the Trash folder.
  • If you're using a mail client such as Outlook or Outlook Express, consider using a spam filtering program.
  • Report spam to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov. Be sure to include the full email headers.

Spectrum helps block spam by using anti-spam filters. These special devices utilize optical character recognition (OCR) to filter out messages that contain key words, phrases, and images commonly found in spam. We block approximately 150 million spam messages per day from reaching our customers.

In addition to using anti-spam filters, Spectrum offers comprehensive Security Suite software with built-in spam control. Learn more.

You can read more about Email Security here:  Email Security

ant
Established Sharer

Julia_R: Why are others and I getting suddenly way more spam e-mails since the beginning of this year?  I believe it started after the new webmail came online. Spam filters aren't catching a lot too. It's hard to manually block them since spammers use random e-mail addresses and domain names.

Browser

Julia_R, Did you bother to read ANY of the posts in this thread? If you did you would know that: #1 Many of the email addresses that are receiving spam since January have NEVER EVER been used (I have kept mine in reserve to use in case the one I am using gets into the hands of hackers, which happened once years ago). The only way spammers could have got them was from Spectrum. #2 The filters and spam controls do not work on these spams. You get an error message if you try. #3 You may think you block 150 million, but there are millions more that are getting through.
I have followed the recommendations you posted for preventing and reducing spam for years with excellent success- No spam has hit the email address that I have used for years, until January. No spam has ever made it to the email addresses I have that I do not use, until January. The spammers appear to be using Spectrum's internal account numbers associated with each email address. This is not a problem caused by your customers. Spectrum appears to be responsible for this mess and needs to fix it pronto!!

Browser

I almost posted on Saturday that these spams have stopped.  I am glad I didn't because they started back up again late Saturday.  The spams were coming from 4 different addresses with a spoofed address ending in .loan, .science, .download and .date.  Since Saturday they were only coming from one of these addresses but were still being sent to all my accounts.  I logged into each account and created a rule to block messages coming from addresses containing ".loan" etc.  This seems to have stopped the spam

ant
Established Sharer

@CaptainNemo wrote:

I almost posted on Saturday that these spams have stopped.  I am glad I didn't because they started back up again late Saturday.  The spams were coming from 4 different addresses with a spoofed address ending in .loan, .science, .download and .date.  Since Saturday they were only coming from one of these addresses but were still being sent to all my accounts.  I logged into each account and created a rule to block messages coming from addresses containing ".loan" etc.  This seems to have stopped the spam

I still get them, but less than before. I got three this morning though. Smiley Sad

Proven Sharer

As a point to compare, I am now getting about 30 per day on an old SBC account that used to be dead quiet until it transferred over to Verizon.  Its not just Spectrum email that is getting bombarded with spam, everybody is suffering.  Those jerks have put it in overdrive and the Trump FCC isn't doing any enforcement.  

Browser

I got bombarded again today.  Same spam message to all my old rr accounts, now from a totally different send address then before.

karlbeckman, maybe verizon decided to share your address just like Spectrum has done.

I opened a new rr address after all this spam started (as a test).  I have not received any spam at that address yet.  I don't get any on my gmail account I have had for years.  I don't get any on the outlook.com account I have opened to take the place of my main rr account.

My plan now is to immediately deactivate the rr accounts I have never used as I would not expect anyone to send a legit email to them.  I am in the process of switching the rr account I use over to my new non rr address.  Probably can't do anything to my master rr account (that I never used for anything except receiving TWC and Spectrum messages) except stop monitoring it (Spectrum will have to snail mail me if they want to contact me). 

Browser

@karlbeckman  You may be contacting the wrong agency, it's not the FCC,  it's the FTC, per Julia_R (Lead Moderator) . See the moderators full response in this thread,  I've included a snippet from the response below  for your convenience.

"Report spam to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov. Be sure to include the full email headers."