Highlighted
ant
Established Sharer

Is anyone else getting more spams in their old @roadrunner.com?

Or is it just my e-mail account? It started a few days ago. I rarely use it too. Smiley Sad

50 REPLIES 50
LGT
Contributor

Re: Is anyone else getting more spams in their old @roadrunner.com?

This topic came up a while ago. If you google “spam email increase 2018” you will see you are not the only one.  One article I read recently suggested that the death of the adobe flash plugin is making it harder for scammers to attack your web browser so they are going back to the old standby email. 

I personally have seen dramatic increases in spam on a couple of my email accounts. A ten to twenty fold increase. The reason it seems to go from nothing to totally out of control is once they get their dirty hands on your email address they just hammer it.  Their thinking is if one is good one thousand is better.  

Unfortunately this is a low priority crime. Few of these guys get caught and even fewer get any real punishment.  

Browser

Many of these just like spam calls.  Probably does not help but use the "report spam" button to report and delete these emails on the webmail page.  

Observer

Yes.  I have 15 @nc.rr.com accounts.  I only use about 4 of those on a regular basis.   However, I have all of them set up in Outlook to monitor the inbox.   Since late last week,  5 times now, I have gotten the same exact email to all 15 at the same time.  This has never happened before.  The email domain is partially the same in all 15.  The spammer changes the first 4-6 characters of the domain name with random letters and numbers.   Someone is mass spamming the @nc.rr.com email addresses.   Some of these I haven't used in years so I don't think it is on my end.  I contacted Spectrum yesterday and let them know about this. 

Seasoned Contributor

I've noticed it too.

And the ONLY people that have my old ca.rr.com mail are the various incarnations of RR, Time Warner, and Spectrum.  Together with this forum.

I haven't given it out anywhere else, ever.

Cheers.

ant
Established Sharer

@EddieA wrote:

I've noticed it too.

And the ONLY people that have my old ca.rr.com mail are the various incarnations of RR, Time Warner, and Spectrum.  Together with this forum.

I haven't given it out anywhere else, ever.

Cheers.

Exactly. I think this started when we got the new webmail.

Browser

I'm getting a ton of spam also. *sigh*

Newcomer

We have the same problem...each account we have (5 of them) is receiving the same spam emails regularly and two of these are our children's accounts who have NEVER seen spam until whatever changed/happened in the past month. It's very frustrating; I've been going into webmail and marking everything as spam before downloading to our home computer and even "forwarding as attachment" to spamblock@postmaster.rr.com (not knowing if that's still valid since we're Spectrum now) but someone has clearly found a way to hit every active email for our domain. We've been online for decades and very careful with our email information so have never had more than a few spam emails here and there which makes this newest flooding on a daily basis highly frustrating and annoying. We may finally have to use spam filtering to see if that helps but I much prefer to determine "spam or not" myself since I've had emails I signed up for or wanted in the past errantly marked as spam (in email subject) by Time Warner/Spectrum when they most definitely were not.

Browser

Our account has see an increase in spam in just the last two weeks.  We use to only get an occasional spam email and the spam catchers caught them.  Now, we see many more in our inbox.  The "reply to address" is easily recognized as totally fake and thus we don't understand why there are not maked as spam and automatically sent to junk mail.

Observer

Members of our household are all simultaneously getting the same spam from .date and .loan domains.

I have had one of my email addresses used for the last 10 years or so and have never had a piece of spam because I have not shared this address with anyone, ever and now all of a sudden these messages appear.

I called tech support and did complain because I can tell the stuff is coming from Spectrum but apparently they are not filtering the TLD's spewing this junk. I hope somebody pays attention to this issue.