Rookie

Increase in phishing spam TWC accounts (Nov 2019)

My TWC email and sub accounts have received an increase in phishing spam starting 11/25/19. Before, our TWC accounts were spam/phishing free. It is unusual in that the family member accounts are getting the same phishing email
Message - in the message preview there is only an unsubscribe with a strange URL - so I will not/have not clicked them. I tried to contact Spectrum to see if this is a TWC Firewall issue - to no avail. Using the Spectrum chat gets you automated responses. I have taken the recommendation of logging into webmail and marking each of the phishing messages as spam and they get moved to the spam folder. I doubt that they check user spam folders for domains to block/blacklist. They probably simply use outsourced net security SEIM Tools from major players like ATT or Cisco. Two questions: is there any way to contact TWC/Spectrum Tech Support via email or form submission (with ability to send JPEG or screenshots) to provide examples? 2. Are other TWC email users experiencing the same sudden increase in phishing/spam?
4 REPLIES 4
LGT
Contributor

Re: Increase in phishing spam TWC accounts (Nov 2019)

I have also noticed the increase in spam. Now I await the obligatory get gmail/yahoo post. Even though part of what we pay to Spectrum is for them to maintain email.

Highlighted
Browser

I have stopped using the Spectrum webmail service since I suspect they have had a data breach since the Spectrum webmail accounts are the only emails that are getting spamed constantly by the same spammer.  I have moved all my webmail over to GMAIL and Outlook accounts which are not effected.

Participant

@toolman1990  I too suspect that there has been a data breach OR a disgruntled employee grabbed the email addresses before walking out the door. I say this because  I have an email address (sub-account) that I have NEVER used or given out, yet it was getting spam, all of a sudden just like the others I have, once I saw this I got suspicious.

Sadly, it seems like the only choice we have today is to give up our privacy and data with the "Free" email providers or put up with a low grade paid service. Even the big "Free" email providers have had massive breaches, Yahoo  and Google come to mind .

https://www.identityforce.com/blog/sophisticated-gmail-phishing-scam

Browser

@txrattler wrote:

@toolman1990  I too suspect that there has been a data breach OR a disgruntled employee grabbed the email addresses before walking out the door. I say this because  I have an email address (sub-account) that I have NEVER used or given out, yet it was getting spam, all of a sudden just like the others I have, once I saw this I got suspicious.

Sadly, it seems like the only choice we have today is to give up our privacy and data with the "Free" email providers or put up with a low grade paid service. Even the big "Free" email providers have had massive breaches, Yahoo  and Google come to mind .

https://www.identityforce.com/blog/sophisticated-gmail-phishing-scam

At least Google has two factor authentication. I had to go into my Google account to enable that feature so if my information does become breached the log in information is useless since they do not have access to the code that would be sent to my phone number.