Highlighted
Observer

Re: Forwarding Email

I am NOT setting up an email server.  I am only trying to forward messages from an existing Spectrum account to a different email address.  I set the forward on the Spectrum webmail server to go to the user.name@xyz.info.  Those forwarded messages never arrive due to a configuration problem on the Spectrum servers.  I can forward Gmail and Zoominternet messages to the new user name.  It's nothing I am doing, because I only named the new email addresses on our site (which has the TLD of .info) and is hosted by Vistaprint.  There is no configuration error on my part, since I had nothing to do with setting up the email server at Vistaprint.   Why then can I forward messages from other domains to the new addresses and NOT Spectrum?

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Ok... let's try a different approach....

Why are you trying to set up forwards from Spectrum to the .info domain instead of just using the .info mailboxes to begin with?

It sounds like the service is already setup to receive email... so why are they going to Spectrum, requiring you to set up a forward?

As stated earlier, Spectrum is not in the business of doing email.

It is by no means meant to be used as a platform for any kind of business or other type of organization. It simply is not set up for it.

It is a legacy feature... basically stripped to the minimum functionality. They are just sort of "keeping the lights on" at this point.

If you are needing something more robust with things like alias support for websites or community organization type stuff, you should be looking into something like google and such that have much more flushed out services to handle that kind of stuff.

If this is a one-off kind of thing that you are doing more as an on-demand process now and then, you should be able to do it just fine through a standalone client like Thunderbird and such... can even setup rules that can run every time the client synchs, or run them on demand. Can also setup an auto response directing people to start using the .info email address while you are at it.
Highlighted
Observer

I want the messages to the existing "stny.rr.com" forwarded to the new ".info" email, so the village clerk, deputy clerk, and mayor don't miss any email.  As you may have encountered this situation, not everyone updates their address books, even if they have received notification about a change.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Then set up auto reply on the Spectrum account... every time they send an email they get a reply right away to send it to the proper address. Should also doublecheck that all pointers on the site and all correspondence going forward should likewise be directing to the .info domain as well.

Then you can either set up a localized client with rules that will forward everything to the .info domain, or set up the Spectrum account to forward to something like gmail or some form of email forwarding service that can then forward to the .info service.

Once a reasonable enough time has passed, the old Spectrum email boxes can be disabled/deleted so that when people try to send there they get an error message from the service for invalid/unknown/unreachable/etc. mailbox, which should prompt them to verify they have the correct address.

It sounds like from the get go you may have been using the Spectrum email in a way it simply is not designed for. It is basically just a legacy system more for personal use, not for organizations and such.
Highlighted
Observer

"It sounds like from the get go you may have been using the Spectrum email in a way it simply is not designed for. It is basically just a legacy system more for personal use, not for organizations and such."

The email addresses were given to the village as part of the free service under the contractual agreement with Time Warner at the time, and this pre-dates my arrival on the scene, so I'm in the middle of this.  I have gone through the other steps, so it's still up to Spectrum to fix the TLD forwarding issue on their servers.