Contributor

Email Servers

Spectrum/Charter is now specifying the Email Server to be set to "mobile.charter.net".  I have a legacy RoadRunner email address, and mobile.charter.net does not recognize my credentials.  I have to use mail.twc.com.  From what I have been able to find out,  mail.twc.com is using outdated/unsupported software (Openwave/Mail MX/Intermail v9.01) that has at least one bug in the imap server portion that is affecting me. 

Is mobile.charter.net using the same outdated software ?  If not, is there any way I can get my account moved over so that my credentials are recognized on mobile.charter.net?   I do not want to have to change my email address, it's been with me for 25+ years.

8 REPLIES 8
Sharer

Re: Email Servers

Spectrum isn't exactly in the email business... it is more just keeping the lights on for legacy accounts.

May want to consider moving to another address with a service like gmail or outlook online.

Not sure how Spectrum works with POP3 now, but could use something like Thunderbird (handles multiple email types) to download all the email to a local machine to archive it all when you move to another service.
Contributor

As I said, I don't want to change email addresses - but I suppose the writing is on the wall and ISP provided email is probaby going to go the way of UseNet support.  I already have gmail, yahoo, and outlook accounts for other purposes, but I consider my wi.rr.com email address my main personal address and all my personal contacts going back 25 years use that one.  A real PITA to try to advise everyone. 

Lead Moderator

The email settings in my system are still showing L-TWC customers should use the following. 

Account Type IMAP
Incoming Mail Server mail.twc.com
Incoming Server Port 993
Outgoing Mail Server mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server Port 587
Username Full email address (e.g. customer@twc.com)
Inbound and Outbound Password Spectrum Email Password
SMTP Server Requires Authentication Checked

Julia R

Contributor

That's what I am using Julia. 

Problem is that the old email server software you are using (Open Wave/Mail MX/Intermail v9.01) is not fully compliant with the standards, and 'forgets' the last selected folder.  So when Thunderbird does a 'Fetch', the server doesn't know where to fetch from.  Many email clients do a redundant 'Select' before the 'Fetch' command (shouldn't be needed), but Thunderbird does not.

So we have a mail client I wish to use that does not do a redundant 'Select', and old server software that 'forgets' the last selected folder, and we have a standoff.  I understand the RFC does not require a redundant 'Select', so Thunderbird will not make the change to their software.  I suspect trying to get Spectrum to update their server software is an exercise in futility. 

[I have been using Thunderbird with mail.twc.com for many many years now.  But I have been using a POP3 account.  With this new Windows 10 machine, I wanted to go to the 'newer' imap account.  That's when the problem started - POP3 does not have the issue.]

Valued Contributor

Hello ddeerrff,

Are you having issues with both sending and receiving email?

Setting SMTP to no authentication does any better?

Highlighted
Contributor

Have never had any problems with outgoing .  Using Thunderbird, for SMTP I'm using mail.twc.com:587, StartTLS, normal password.

Valued Contributor

That's interesting, thank you.

I just setup a mobile mail client with my roadrunner account, which I rarely use. It's working, except with an error "This provider does not support push messages. This will delay reception of new messages and increase battery usage."

Looks like we are all over the place!

Best,

Contributor

Mail.twc.com currently reports itself to be Intermail V9.01.  According to the guys over on the Thunderbird support forum, Charter was using Intermail v9.00 four years ago.  One minor update in 4 years.....  not surprised it doesn't support push mail.