Highlighted
Browser

Cannot send email using Thunderbird anymore. What changed?

So I get this error every time I try to send an email using thunderbird on my laptop:
"An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: p-impout004.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 205.185.222.208 blocked AUP#CMBL."

So for no reason that I can think of, the hand shaking to the Spectrtum POP server messed up. I spent hours on the phone yesterday and when they couldn't fix it, I was told "dont worry, someone will work on this and get back to you". 

After some research into this issue this morning, I find out there is a history of issues with the POP servers. 

Can anybody resolve this issue? What should I do?
BTW, I can send emails using my phone. I can send emails from the webmail. I cannot send emails using TB on my account or my wife's account. All the settings are correct.

Thank-you
POP 

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Contributor

Issues with an IMAP account

Just recently got a new Win 10 machine and intalled the latest version of Thunderbird (68.3.1).  Set up my main @WI.rr.com email and two other @WI.rr.com accounts using IMAP.  Seems like my Mail client is not consistantly pulling the email from the server (syncing).  Two of the three accounts are working mostly but the one I use the most is the worst.  I will see email on the webmail page, but no amount of 'get mail' commands from my client bring the mail to my clients inbox.  Often, I will get mail on my client that is two or three days old. 

I have deleted and recreated the account on Thunderbird, but the problem continues. 

Really strange that if I shut down and restart Thunderbird, all the emails on the server are pulled into my inbox.  If I change my password security from none to SSL/TLS, the email will sync.  If I change it from SSL.TLS to none and there is email on the server, Thunderbird will sync. 

It's almost as if the server is not recognizing the request from Thunderbird or Thunderbird is not sending a request. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Issues with an IMAP account

I'm using -

IMAP Server:  mail.twc.com:993

SMTP Server:  mail.twc.com:587

SSL/TLS

Normal password

Then there is this:Annotation 2020-01-09 104938.png

See anything strange?

Highlighted
Community Manager

The port numbers are correct.  

The servers need to be updated:

• Incoming Email Server: mobile.charter.net
  • Outgoing Email Server: mobile.charter.net
Highlighted
Contributor

I'll give that a try.

Highlighted
Contributor

Can't log in to that server.  It will not accept my username/PW. 

Also tried

imap.spectruminc.com:143

sslmail.spectruminc.com:993

and neither work. 

Only server address that allows me to access my account is mail.twc.com, and that seems to be intermittant/inconsistant. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Did you also enable SSL?  

Highlighted
Contributor

"Connection Security" is set to SSL/TLS

"Authentication method" set to Normal Password

I don't see anything else in the setup that makes any reference to 'SSL'.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks.  Are you able to complete set up on a different device or different email client?  

Highlighted
Contributor

Was just going to report on that.  Right now I have 5 unread messages on the server as reported by Webmail.  Only 4 of those messages made it to Thunderbird on the new Win 10 machine.  All the messages made it to two other clients:

Not working - Thunderbird (68.4.1) on a new Windows 10 home Dell

imap: mail.twc.com:993

SSL/TLS, normal password

All messages made it to: Windows native 'Mail' app on the new Win 10 machine

It auto set up, and is set as

Currently syncing: every 2 hours

Incoming email server: mail.twc.com:993:1

Requires SSL for incoming email

All messages made it to:  Email app on my Samsung S7 Android phone

Auto set up

Syncs ever 15 minutes

imap server: mail.twc.com

Security type: None

Port: 143

Sure begining to sound like a Thunderbird problem.  But what could cause it to sync some messages but not all? ...and for the reticent messages to sync if I shut down then restart Thunderbird.