Newcomer

554 p-impin009.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp (IP ADDESS) blocked AUP#CMDNS

Our Mail-server has not been able to sentd email to Charter/Spectrum/TWC servers in nearly a week.  What does this error mean, and how can it be resolved?

Your message addressed to the target domain (rochester.rr.com) could not be delivered because the mail server responsible for this domain returned a permanent error.

The server returned:

554 p-impin009.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp (IP ADDRESS) blocked AUP#CMDNS

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Re: 554 p-impin009.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp (IP ADDESS) blocked AUP#CMDNS

Looks like from the error that your IP is blocked. First thing I would do is check your ip 

on the black list list at mxtoolbox.

While that may show the issue, not all of our blocked IPs will display there. An IP can be blocked for a number of reasons. If there have been too many emails

marked as spam by customers or you may have exceeded the hourly or daily limits.

We will sometimes see this if your mail server is being hosted by a company that has multiple domains sending from the same server/IP. As an example,  the mail server is being used by you and by 6 other domains, your mail would all come from the same IP, their count of marked emails for spam would also count against all others being delivered from that IP address. If one of them has been affected by something causing spamming or they are sending enough mail that would trigger our server all can be blocked using that IP. 

Julia 

Newcomer

This is a brand new mail server. The domain is clean on MXtoolbox and the IP was previously unused in the block.

Spectrum/Charter/TWC is the only service rejecting our email. The DMARC reports from rr.com do not say why they are rejected.

We have DMARC, SPF and DKIM records present in the zone. Our ISP is in the process of assigning a PTR to their zone for the IP. (But I've dealt with plenty of mailservers where no PTR is fine, but a mismatched one is bad.)

The error in itself is very cryptic and doesn't allow for much diagnosis.
Rookie

Similar error here, since mid-December. My Road Runner emaii uses the domain nycap.rr.com (which I've had since 1998).  Nycap.rr.com, seems to be blocked by mxtoolbox (TIMEOUT for ASPEWS, BBFHL1,  BBFHL2,  SPEWS1 and SPEWS2).  The referencing error reported from the offfending Spectrum server is "cmsmtp 8.44.149.31 blocked AUP#CMDNS'".  But 8.44.149.31 shows no blacklist errors.  Howcan I resove this so I can use my email address???

Lead Moderator

Hello!

Are you getting this trying to send from webmail.spectrum.net or an email client?

If you are sending from a client the server should be mail.twc.com  

So that I understand @joooles_m you get this every time you try to send or only when 

you try to email certain addresses? 

Julia 

Rookie

Web mail works fine (if DREADFULLY slow).  The application is Microsoft 2019 MSO.   The SMTP program is set to mail.twc.com .  

So that I understand @joooles_m you get this every time you try to send or only when 

you try to email certain addresses?   Every address.

Valued Contributor

@joooles_m wrote:

Web mail works fine (if DREADFULLY slow).  The application is Microsoft 2019 MSO.   The SMTP program is set to mail.twc.com .  

you try to email certain addresses?   Every address.

Way I understand, in IMAP the SMTP server has some authentication issue with SSL/TLS, but STARTTLS works.

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Email/Email-Servers/m-p/165427#M7036

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Email/Cannot-send-email-using-Thunderbird-anymore-What-changed...

Rookie

I AM using STARTTLS for SMTP.

I am saying that it looks like a handful of rules in MXToolbox is blocking my legacy nycap,rr,.com address.  Can someone atr Spectrum please respond specifically to that?  Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to respond to my issue.

Lead Moderator

Good morning.

For direct support we would request that you contact us  by private message on Facebook (m.me/Spectrum) or on Twitter (https://twitter.com/ask_spectrum)

We can gather some information and submit for further research if needed.

Julia R

Valued Contributor

@joooles_m wrote:

I AM using STARTTLS for SMTP.

I am saying that it looks like a handful of rules in MXToolbox is blocking my legacy nycap,rr,.com address.  Can someone atr Spectrum please respond specifically to that?  Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to respond to my issue.

Sorry, that did not work for you. Funny that I am seeing similar error message while trying to send email from my workplace lately. Did you get it resolved? Thank you.