Highlighted
Observer

use custom dns servers like 1.1.1.1

Hi is it possible to point my router to use a different faster dns server like 1.1.1.1?

9 REPLIES 9
Sharer

Re: use custom dns servers like 1.1.1.1

Provided your login has the rights...

Every router I have used had the option to set it manually, but they were always my own and not my ISP's router.

Now, whether it will be "faster" ...

If you are testing for reliability/consistency with your console/PC for gaming, may want to try manually setting DNS servers in that system's network settings first to test it (both Spectrum's as well as an alternate provider). Sometimes switching from passing the query to other devices upstream to running it more directly is what really makes the difference (less potential delays in forwarding hops, fewer issues with stale cache entries and such, etc.).
Observer

there is a setting in the dhcp settings in the lan option to set a dns server that gets sent out to devices via dhcp is this different than the other option of using static dns in the wan option?
Observer

I guess I can use manual settings on say ipv6 dns since the spectrum ones are unstable, it kicks me off and switches between ipv4 and 6 in google chrome throwing a sorry cannot be found error, either i disable ipv6 or use a custom ipv6 dns server like 1.1.1.1, its just my ps3 is throwing dns errors so thats why i set that to manual dns 1.1.1.1
Sharer

Need to use dual stack DNS... nowhere near full adoption of v6 in games on console, or even PC for that matter.

Adoption rates in general are still way behind... Not limited to a problem for just consoles or gaming.

Spectrum provides dual stack, so may want to try manually putting their addresses in the PS console settings to see if it behaves better. Personally, I have always bound my gaming devices in DHCP and than manually configured them statically. That way if I suspect an issue with the ISP's DNS, can quickly swap to Google, OpenDNS, or Cloudflare to see if it resolves things.

EDIT: aftertbought
One thing specific to the PS platform that you may want to try is manually setting your MTU. Sometimes setting it to 1472 can resolve stability issues along routes prone to DDoS attacks. It will drop your max transfer speeds slightly, but not a massive hit (drops max upstream packet size by up to 28 bytes, so some transfers will need more packets... but it is less impactful for games using UDP than TCP).
Observer

but my computer only shows one ip address for the dns server and that is my router? Its not showing the two dns servers 209. something
Observer

i tried using dual stack but its so unstable, it just slows my pc down, i have to use manual static dns, i dont even know what the dns server is 2000:ff or fe its not even a proper referral
Observer

yea theres something wrong with my wifi router... the dual stacking thing is malfunctioning
Observer

can i just disable ipv6 all together in the wifi router?
Sharer

Yes. Been doing it for years.

Also bind my consoles, printers, and laptop IP addresses in DHCP.
Then set them statically on each device to match the reserved addresses on devices that never leave the house (speeds up initial access when things wake up and such).