Newcomer

updated modem. should I also update my wifi router?

Up until a few days ago I had the Ultimate 50 plan and I decided (since I can afford the extra $20/month) to upgrade to the 200mpbs. 

My previous setup worked well.  Arris 6141 modem with a Belkin N600 DB wifi router .  Consistently got 40- 56+ on my wireless and direct line in.

While the 6141 worked well, I learned that it really couldn't muster over 100.  So I upgraded to a 16 channel modem (TP-Link 7620).  Kept the Belkin. 

Activated the modem and got the bigger package.  Then things got tricky.  On Wifi I got up to 93gbps on most of my handhelds and around 30 on my laptop. I can’t connect directly to the modem via ethernet cable to laptop/PS4 (happened during the setup too, but when plugged into router the setup finished). Oddly, I can connect through one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router. And they are all Cat 5e (which I think are goodup to gibabit).

Ethernet cables connected to the back of my router give me around 30-40.

Updating the modem to one for the higher speeds I get. Would I have to upgrade my Wi-Fi router as well?  any suggestions on which one to get?

Would it matter that my laptop is older (by about 5 years) and that it’s wireless card may be too old?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Expert

Re: updated modem. should I also update my wifi router?

If you're doing 30-50 megs on wireless devices, you're doing good.

Bad/ old, counterfeit cables are notorious for wired speeds being slow as well as old modems, Nic cards and consumer grade routers

A lot was only rate for 1 gig on the lan side, there was no wan side faster than 20 megs when they were designed.

Helper

Your laptop may only have  802.11g wifi which I believe is only rated up to 54 mbps max. One of my laptops in the house is only 3 years old but was a cheap model and only has a g card. It never gets more than 35 mbps, even sitting right next to the router.

Expert

Did you reset the router to factory defaults after you changed modems?

Set it to autodetect wan settings?

It's rated to 300m to AC devices wireless but that doesn't explain the low wired  ethernet connections.

Proven Sharer

Your present equipment  will NEVER have the full capacity of your modem connection while using G wireless or a CAT3 cable.  You may be able to manually reconfigure the computer's wired and wireless connection to a higher speed, or to always use 5 GHz WiFi which can run at up to 150 Mbps.   It's also possible to buy an 802.11 AC 5 GHz WiFi USB dongle that will take the place of the computer's internal WiFi card.

But in all honesty, you will be better off with just 100 Mbps service.  You'll save money every month and your connection will be more stable.

Highlighted
Sharer

"Since I can afford" is never a good reason to buy anything.

"Because I need/use and can afford" is.

What benefit does 200--if it works--give you over 50?

Expert

If you've got 10 devices online, 200 would be helpfull whereas 50 would have a lot of buffering when trying to stream video

If youve only got a couple, probably no help and might be worst

Proven Sharer

@JKB_NC_83 wrote:

Up until a few days ago I had the Ultimate 50 plan and I decided (since I can afford the extra $20/month) to upgrade to the 200mpbs. 

My previous setup worked well.  Arris 6141 modem with a Belkin N600 DB wifi router .  Consistently got 40- 56+ on my wireless and direct line in.

While the 6141 worked well, I learned that it really couldn't muster over 100.  So I upgraded to a 16 channel modem (TP-Link 7620).  Kept the Belkin. 

Activated the modem and got the bigger package.  Then things got tricky.  On Wifi I got up to 93gbps on most of my handhelds and around 30 on my laptop. I can’t connect directly to the modem via ethernet cable to laptop/PS4 (happened during the setup too, but when plugged into router the setup finished). Oddly, I can connect through one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router. And they are all Cat 5e (which I think are goodup to gibabit).

Ethernet cables connected to the back of my router give me around 30-40.

Updating the modem to one for the higher speeds I get. Would I have to upgrade my Wi-Fi router as well?  any suggestions on which one to get?

Would it matter that my laptop is older (by about 5 years) and that it’s wireless card may be too old?

Thanks!

CAT-5E is a spec for the cable, not for the circuitry inside the router.  N600 on the router tells you only how the WiFi operates, not the speed of the wired ports.  There you need   to see the magic words "4-port Gigabit Switch".   When I googled a C|Net review, it says (italics and underline are my edits):

Specs at a glance Firmware tested ADSL2+ modem Annex M 3G modem IPv6 Wireless protocols Dual band Highest wireless security WDS Ethernet ports USB print sharing/storage Accessories

No
N/A
No
No
802.11b/g/n
Simultaneous
WPA2
Yes
4x 100Mb, 1x 100Mb WAN
Storage, printer
Ethernet cable, installation CD

Connections

The N600 DB takes the standard approach; four 100Mb Ethernet ports, and a USB port that can manage either printing or storage. A 100Mb WAN port sits at the top, which should suit most needs, unless you happen to be a rather lucky internet subscriber.

So that box is only good for up to 100 Mb in any direction, wired or WiFi.  You've been deceived by some marketing sleight of hand.  Again, I'll suggest that you tell TWC to change your service  back to 100 Mbps, which will reduce jitter on video streaming.