Browser

speed upgrade

I was wondering when Spectrum is going to upgrade their Ultra Internet service to 300Mbps or 400 Mbps in My Area, I from the Upstate Ny Saratoga  County Ny Area, I have the Ultra 120mbps down and 12 Up,? and going all Digital Converstion  for That Area also?

7 REPLIES 7
Valued Participant

Re: speed upgrade

And why arn't the approved modems working with the 200mbps and 400mbps service in the areas that have that speed?  If modems like the Netgear cm600 worked with the 300mbps connection what changed? Did Spectrum forget how to provision customer owned modems?

Looks like they are forcing people to pick up the Arris TM1602 or the Technicolor 8717 to make the speeds work.

Also they are making users use their (Technicolor TC4400) docsis 3.1 modem even if the person already has a netgear cm1000 or arris 8200

Expert

Docsis 3.1 doesn't give you higher speeds, it's the number of channels and provisioning provided the outside plant was changed out.... lots of areas only have 50/5 or 60/6 service and upgrades to any speed/rata rates higher than 100/10 makes gaming horrible because data is sent/ received in erratic bursts.

All modems have unique to the model, custom firmware from the cable company, and they're not going to write it for a specific oddball modem that a customer buys.

Spectrums not going to support most of the 3.1 features  unless they charge more for streaming services like Netflix and Amazon

Valued Participant

modem page updated 2 days ago
https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/
and
https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modems.html

also:
50mbps and 60mbps is now 100 in 99% of the footprint. 1gbps is available in 7 cities with 35mbps upload

300mbps turned into 400mbps in maybe 20 cities
price dropped from $105 To $90 and install fee dropped from $200 to $50

-for somereason they still charge $25 to $40 extra for ultra 120 when 100 is the base speed in some areas. They should just remove the ultra choice if they aren't going to upgrade it.

edit - i have heard people get the arris sb6183 and netgear cm600 to work on the 400mbps speed now.  Looks like they figured it out in some areas. The sb6183 goes against spectrums so called requirements but the guy was getting the a speed of 458mbps. Probably should be getting closer to 480 if i remember how the speeds work.

Proven Sharer

Was there a question hiding in there somewhere about helping you troubleshoot and improve your less than optimal internet connection?  That's what this user forum normally does fairly well.

But, since you reside in Now York, I think you already know that everything is up in the air in NYS because of the Attorney General's lawsuit, including revised service area boundaries,  fiber routing and installation timetable, and increased customer speeds. 

Expert

from that page...

"At this time there are no modems that have passed certification testing for the Spectrum Internet 1 Gig speed tier."

Highlighted
Observer

My speed has been  arount 118 download.  Suddenly this week it increase to over 220. The upload speed stayed to just under 12.  I have a Spectrum issued Technicolor modem.  I hope it stays at this speed.  I live in Mint Hill, N.C.

Proven Sharer

Don't jinx it!  Your connection still has the "old" upload speed of 10 Mbps.  When THAT doubles to 20 you'll have the proper provisioning.