Newcomer

spectrum speed tests

I tried to reply to a previous topic strand but was unable to.  My internet is consistently slow.  When I go to the spectrum.net and spectrum.com speed test sites, i get varying test results.  they range from 24.37 - 6.54 for download and 5.94 - 1.00 for upload.  All responses suggest connecting my laptop directly to my modem/router for more accurate test results.  My laptop is a macbook air and does not have ethernet ports!  I am unable to connect directly for more accurate testing!  How can I get a fairly accurate or even consistent test result?  It is super frustrating and I am sick of paying for fast internet when I NEVER get what I am promised.  Please help and advise, anyone!  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Proven Sharer

Re: spectrum speed tests

@lorabooh wrote:

I tried to reply to a previous topic strand but was unable to.  My internet is consistently slow.  When I go to the spectrum.net and spectrum.com speed test sites, i get varying test results.  they range from 24.37 - 6.54 for download and 5.94 - 1.00 for upload.  All responses suggest connecting my laptop directly to my modem/router for more accurate test results.  My laptop is a macbook air and does not have ethernet ports!  I am unable to connect directly for more accurate testing!  How can I get a fairly accurate or even consistent test result?  It is super frustrating and I am sick of paying for fast internet when I NEVER get what I am promised.  Please help and advise, anyone!  Thanks!

We appreciate that you opened a separate new thread for your internet service issue.  No offense, but you should already know that if you live in an urban residential environment you can't get full wired speeds when running over wireless.  So it does little or no good to pay a lot extra for 200 or 300 Mbps  instead of the basic 100 Mbps that Spectrum is providing for new customers.  And without a wired connection the Macbook Air will have a more difficult time accessing and printing the signal level and modem event reports that forum members rely on to spot problems in Spectrum's cable network.  But it's not a total loss!  

What you can do is ask a friend with a laptop that DOES have an Ethernet port to run the Speedtest for you.  If their results are more than 20% below what you are paying for, print and save the speeds for the Spectrum service tech you are going to call out.  

Next, to find those two technical reports, point your Safari  browser to 192.168.100.1 and enter the user name and password for your modem.  You can cut and paste those pages into a reply message and then we can take a look at the evidence.  Just ignore the part about some HTML code not being compatible and press the SEND button a second time.  Do also include your plan speeds, your ZIP code, the model of your modem gateway and whether you rent it from Spectrum or own it outriught.  If you bought your own router separate from the modem, include that model number as well. 

Newcomer

I realize that I can't get full wired speeds while running over wireless.  That is why I posted about not being able to connect directly.  I appreciate your suggestion to have someone with an ethernet connection come and test their laptop.  As of yet I havent found anyone with this set up.  Most newer Mac's are not ethernet compatible and so far that is what everyone I have spoken to has.  I am not paying for nor do I expect 200 or 300 Mbps.  I have never experienced more than 6 DL and 5 UL.  I am familiar with and have used the Charter site to upload the speed test results.  I will follow your suggestions on printing out the results for my tech appointment.  Thx

Helper

What modem/router are you using? Post your modem's signal level page and event log. You can access then over wifi at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1, or some variation thereof depending on the model.

Also, what speeds are you actually paying for?

Expert

what city/state are you in and what city, state does the TWC speedtest show?