Contributor

modem

which would be better to buy a 16 download 4 upload   or 32 download  8 upload?

17 REPLIES 17
Expert

Re: modem

neither, switch to spectrum service and get the modem for free. And they can't blame line issues on the customer owned modem.

Contributor

how do you switch to spectrum when you have time warner

Expert

What equipment and service do you have now?

Why do you want to buy a modem?

Are you on a promo/ bundle plan?

If you're paying twc for internet only and 50/5, the spectrum 60/6 might be a better deal.

You need to go to a twc store as nothing online or on phone seems to be handled properly.

Is there one nearby? Stop in and ask...

Contributor

i have time warner standard internet   my speed keeps slowing down from 23mbps  to down to 11 mbps and then the modem will reset  i have an old docsis 2 been going on for a while . I have a line straight to my modem and i live in a house.

Contributor

might just go rent one for one month or so until this gets straighten out

Expert

Single ch modems at 15/1 are an issue in many areas, I assume you own it.

Proven Sharer

DOCSIS1 AND DOCSIS2 modems are technically obsolete and no longer supported on the TWC cable network. The 8 x 4 DOCSIS3 modems approved by TWC can be provisioned for up to 100 Mbps, but several models do have other issues. If you are buying your own modem a 16 x 8 will be most versatile going forward. The SB6183 has some desirable technical features and is well regarded within this forum. Request to rent that model from your local TWC store and see what they say.

Rumors here on the forum say that Spectrum will not charge a monthly fee when they rent you a modem in the future, but we don't know what models they will be providing or what happens for existing subscribers. My gut feel is it will be whatever model is lowest cost to them.

Highlighted
Contributor

ok thanks for all the info 

Sharer

SB6183

However, your D2 modem should work fine.  If it isn't, you have a problem that won't go away by switching your modem--I don't care how many Crimp Chimps will tell you to switch your modem.

"Technically", D3 is backwards compatible with D2.  My D2 modem still works fine and I keep it around in case someone wants to blame the 6183 I'm using.

Check your wiring and post your results (with pictures, if possible):
http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Cable-modem-and-wiring-checklist/m-p/50745#U50745

Collect troubleshooting data and post it:
http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY/m-p/50...