Highlighted
Valued Participant

locked out of Netgear C6300 modem

Username and password no longer work and password recovery page gives me the EXACT username and password I just tried. Try to reset the modem and the same thing happens, factory username and password doesn't work either.. Does Spectrum lock me out of my own equipment ????
8 REPLIES 8
Proven Sharer

Re: locked out of Netgear C6300 modem

The FCC requires that a customer-purchased MODEM must be serviceable by Spectrum for their network maintenance 7 x 24, 365.  Therefore you are NOT permitted to change the name or password.  The firmware loaded into the modem enforces that requirement by blocking your attempt to change the password. 

You can change the user name and password of a separate ROUTER any time as you want, but not a modem+router combination.  

Newcomer

Did you figure this out? My C6300 just did the same thing.  Password spontaniously changed locking me out and resets put me into a loop.  Spectrum probably COULD lock us out, but it seems like an insanely stupid thing to do.

Newcomer

Hi Karl

Is your response based upon actual knowledge of a thing Spectrum are actively now doing, or just a generalization on the legal status? With override control of firmware it is technically possible, but to actually start doing it is going to spark a firestorm of people who can't configure their own routers.

Sharer

They have always done this... going back to Roadrunner/TWC back in the mid 1990's. Been using admin/password on standalone modem's for the most part, but in Business Class we saw combinations that used part of the MAC address.

If it is a combo unit, and they are managing wifi... may need to have them make changes, depending g what it is you want to do. Can't say for sure as I have always used my own router and my own modem since around 2000, but would imagine they have a user level password you can use to make less impactful tweaks to their network like port forwarding rules and such.
Proven Sharer

@banyan wrote:

Hi Karl

Is your response based upon actual knowledge of a thing Spectrum are actively now doing, or just a generalization on the legal status? With override control of firmware it is technically possible, but to actually start doing it is going to spark a firestorm of people who can't configure their own routers.

@banyan Based on actual knowledge, also included within the Terms of Service from legacy internet providers TWC, Charter, or Brighthouse and now Spectrum.  It has been that way for several years, since the FCC requires all internet providers to be able to either correct or disable a malfunctioning modem unit on their network.

It doesn't help when a few excited subscribers refer to the 'all-in-one' gateway provided by Spectrum (a combined modem and router w/WiFi all in one housing) as just a router and then loudly claim that they "have lost control of their own routers." 

The TOS allows you to manage your own purchased router, but you cannot limit Spectrum's access to the modem, even if you bought it.  You can configure the addressing and other parameters of a separate home LAN router as you choose, but your public IP address of the modem will be assigned by Spectrum's CMTS, and for now it is IPv4 only. 

Newcomer

In this case it is an integrated modem / router / wifi that I own and administer. The password changed spontaniously at some point in the past few weeks, and there is no method of getting back in.  Factory reset worked on the settings but not on the password. 

So either it was hacked, or TWC did something to it.  My concern is, that even if Spectrum can arguably take control,  if I disconnect it from their network permanently a to use as a router / wifi hotspot , I now dont have access to my own equipment. 

Newcomer

And...... its Firefox. 

Browser bug. 

Use Chrome and it goes away..............

Proven Sharer

The remote network reset occurs when the CMTS detects that you tried to make the change.  Had you actually disconnected the gateway from Spectrum cable and restarted it, you would have immediately been able to change the user name and password.  As long as Spectrum's server can't see your gateway device, it will allow your changes to remain.  Plug in the coax and witihm 30 seconds your box's modem gets reset to Spectrum's required user name and password.

Next time you are tempted to upgrade your home LAN equipment, DON'T buy a combined modem and router gateway.  Use Spectrum's free modem in bridging mode (no router or WiFi), purchase your own router with all the features that turn you on, and get the best of both worlds. They manage the modem, you manage the router.