Newcomer

downgrading my spectrum internet service to what i want based on my preferences, need advice

Hi I need some advice on witch type of spectrum internet connection I should choose to use based on my preferences as I want to downgrade to save money. My preferences are: something that has decent or great internet speed for serfing/browsing the net,  able to watch youtube videos decently or without any technical issues like the video chopping, the videos slowing down or the video not working or playing at all so basically that type of service for a cheaper price then the connection I already pay for. I don't have to have the latest and the greatest. So for this type of connection, what do you all recommend is best for me? my laptop is about 72.86 MBPS.

9 REPLIES 9
Helper

Re: downgrading my spectrum internet service to what i want based on my preferences, need advice

Base Spectrum Internet would likely fit your needs. Most areas' base internet package is 200 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

If you are experiencing technical issues such as choppy video, dropouts, slowdowns, etc. then this is likely a result of signal-related problems caused by damaged coax, loose connections, or old filters and will not be fixed by more speed or a new modem.

Proven Sharer

Re: downgrading my spectrum internet service to what i want based on my preferences, need advice

@user5646 wrote:

Hi I need some advice on witch type of spectrum internet connection I should choose to use based on my preferences as I want to downgrade to save money.

Depends on your market.  And it also depends on how many people in your home will be using the connection simultaneously.

In New York State, Everyday-Low-Price at $14.99 (but you have to buy your own modem or rent one from Spectrum) is still on the rate card.  This gives your 3Mbps down / 1 Mbps up.  I have this at my second home, allows me to do everything you described in your post.  I can even watch Netflix (on my 720p TV, not sure what resolution is being sent down the pipe).   If I had a house of teenagers, this speed would never be acceptable.

The next speed up (for me) is 200 Mbps at $65.99 per month.

You may qualify for Spectrum Internet Assist.

To that end, the base internet speed is probably going to be what will cost you the least and servce your needs.  In today's world, I cannot recommend everyone just get ELP Internet becuase of its price unless you know the limitations of the connection -- many don't.

What level of service do you currently have?  Do you own any of your own equipment?

Proven Sharer

@user5646needs to know that internet service over a cable TV system is almost never going to allow symettrical data speeds ( up speed =same as down).  That's a feature available from ISPs who built a fiber optic network, which is VERY costly to install and maintain, and therefore used primarily by businesses with deeper pockets rather than homeowners who are "cutting the cord" just to save a few tens of dollars every month.

Newcomer

@dstoffa 

I have there router or internet modum they lease to me, extream internet and wifi from them plus taxes witch comes out to $68.60 i dont own any of my own equipment. As for having the same internet speed for a lower price you guys were talking about it not being possible, Well  ok, no problem however like i said about my prefered type of internet connection/service is what i want. I realize it will be slower though witch is not a problem for me if its reasonable. If wifis not important for me to have well then i dont want that anymore. 

Proven Sharer

Base internet price includes a free modem.  They do NOT provide credit for using your own modem.  However, if you use one of their "all-in-one" modems, it also serves as a wireless router.  If your leased modem is set to operate as a router, then they may be chaging you for home "wifi", for which you will pay $5 per month.

You can avoid that fee by having Spectrum put the modem in bridge mode, but you will need to use and configure your own wireless router.

I own my own modem and own a separate wireless router.

Sharer

You are paying right about what they charge for standard high speed in our market, which is a mixed bag of 100 or 200 downstream (still upgrading/transitioning neighborhoods to 200 tiers).

If you are on a promotional rate and it is about to expire, could look at scaling it back to the standard tier, which may work out about the same (unless you drop their wifi to use your own router, as @dstoffa mentioned).

One important thing to note though, take the time to GO INTO YOUR LOCALOFFICE TO DO THIS.

Sometimes you can work out a better deal when you sit down with your local reps. Discuss what you actually need and they may be able to come up with some options you likely won't get offered through the website or the 800 numbers.
Newcomer

@Rais ok thanks i apreciate it and everyones elses advice on here. I will probaly invest in my own router/modem keeping the type of internet service connection i have now and take wifi service off my bill. Would you all say it is really worth it to by your own modem/router? Is it hard or difficult to maintain,set up, configure doing it yourself especally if your not a expert in computer technology or know nothing about how the technology works? esepcially if there is a major power outage from a storm that cuts the internet connection off or technical errors? 

Helper

No need to buy your own modem as they are provided at no charge on all tiers of Spectrum internet. 

Buying your own router is a different story though. Some tiers charge a monthly wifi fee so that would allow you to avoid the fee. Some retail routers also have more advanced features than the ones provided by Spectrum.

Proven Sharer

If you are seeing 72 Mbps downloads on Spectrum's Speedtest site, you are probably paying for (old) TWC 60 Mbps service.  There's usually about a 20% data speed margin in their plans to give you some wiggle room.

Another clue: When the power is out at your home there's really nothing that you or a network expert can do to restore your internet service until the lights come back on, because the pole-mounted equipment needs commercial power.  If your neighborhood has recently been updated, they may have added UPS battery backup of 4 to 8 hours.

Last, if you simply use the default modem and router settings, those devices are default programmed to restart automatically.  Folks who try to customize every little thing end up with the most cold restart problems.