Participant

connection issues

No problems with connection all week long.  Friday night/Saturday rolls around and suddenly my modem can't connect.  This started 2 months ago.  I replaced the modem, had 3 different technicians to my home, checked all conections, replaced the box outside.They could find nothing wrong because by the time I could get an appt, the connection was fine. Lasted an entire weekend and miraculously fixed itself that Sunday night.  No problems at all for the next few weeks. Suddenly, this past Saturday, it happened again. Couldn't connect.  Digital cable TV also kept going off and coming back on. Internet would go off, then randomly come back on 2 hours later, then go off, then come back, over and over all weekend. Once again, miraculously Sunday night, it came back and hasn't gone off for one solitary second since. Canceled the appt I made because there was nothing to investigate yet again. Does anyone  know why on earth this keeps happening?  There's nothing wrong with my equipment because it works just fine most of the time.  The problems only happen on the weekends, then randomly fix themselves.  It would be far more helpful if someone could come to my house WHEN IT WON'T CONNECT.  Why do I always have to wait 2-3 days??? If I were a business, they'd be at my location THAT DAY. But residential customers aren't as important. Who cares if we can't work all weekend?  I need to know that my internet is going to work when I need it. And no one can tell me why it just won't connect. But only sometimes. Does this happen to anyone else?

28 REPLIES 28
Helper

Re: connection issues

You have a line signal problem, compounded by prime time, more users, it works when others are not on . You need a tech out to check the lines, make sure everything is tight first., though.
Expert

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages, don't reset it, need to see as much history as possible

Participant

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, I'm not very tech-savvy.  How do I copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages?

Expert

go to either 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks for the response.  The techs have checked the lines and claim they're fine.  They even replaced the box outside.  I use my internet every single day, including every weekend, and this happens only on random weekends.  Not at Christmas shopping time, but a random weekend in July.   Weird.   When did I start paying for "shared" internet service?

Participant

Thanks!  Will do when I get home later today.

Expert

Gotta start by looking at the levels and the errors in the log, don't reset the modem, need to see actual history.

The online phone people only have a red-yellow-green indicator and can't interpret anything.

To them green = fine

they don't look at any history that shows intermittentsWoman Mad

Participant

Well, I went to 192.168.1.1 and got my router's settings. I clicked on every possible tab and there is nothing resembling an error log or signal info. Thank you for trying to help me, but for the amount of money I pay for cable TV and internet service, I shouldn't have to be doing any of this.  Even if I could find an error log, it wouldn't explain why my TV's signals go off and on as well whenever the internet goes out, in two separate rooms with two separate connections. And now I can't have internet access because a lot of other people are using it at the same time on a weekend? The whole thing is absurd.  If there were any other internet service provider in my area, I would be long gone.

Sharer

Modem, not router.  Make/model?