Highlighted
Spectator

bridged mode: technicolor TC8717T: wifi "intereference" in the device logs - is the wifi still on?

I am running a Technicolor TC8717T in bridged mode, set by TWC/Spectrum. Both wifi networks are set "DISABLED." Wifi is handled by another router, an ASUS RT-AC66U. When I look in the device logs for the TC8717T I see constant reports of channels changing due to "interference" - is the wifi still on? How do I turn it off completely so that it does not interfere with the Asus wifi all the time?

Here is a sample of what I see in the Technicolor logs:

Wed Jan 23 09:38:46 2019	Notice (6) 	WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE
Wed Jan 23 09:23:40 2019	Notice (6) 	WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 44 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE
Wed Jan 23 00:51:47 2019	Notice (6) 	WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE
Wed Jan 23 00:36:42 2019	Notice (6) 	WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 44 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

This doesn't seem right to me - it seems as if the SSID is not broadcasting, but the wifi is still transmitting/receiving 24/7. What is the correct setup?

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: bridged mode: technicolor TC8717T: wifi "intereference" in the device logs - is the wi

@tubegeek , 

In bridged mode, WiFi is automatically disabled and the modem becomes a pass through to the router.   I would suggest contacting support to make sure the modem is bridged correctly and to troubleshoot further.  

Please contact us at: 

Spectator

Re: bridged mode: technicolor TC8717T: wifi "intereference" in the device logs - is the wi

OK thanks

Spectator

Following up - Tech support spent a while with me on the phone, it appears as though the modem was not put into Bridge mode properly on original setup, and the tech was able to correct that.

Two improvements: no double NAT activity, no extra wifi broadcasting.

As you might imagine, life here has gotten better Internet-wise.

Thanks for the help!