Spectator

arris tm1602a puma chipset needs fixing!

I got 100:10 service (may upgrade to 300:30 next year) in nyc and they gave me an arris tm1602a which is a telco modem (no router/wifi) capable of 24:8 channel bonding. unfortunately it uses the same intel+puma chipset mess as the sb6190, so it adds 8ms extra average latency to my service (just trust me, i tested this to death and am certain of my conclusions) i know the sb6190 has since been patched, but what about this tm1602a? has charter even acknowledged yet it's a mess that needs fixing, or are they still in denial about it while they continue to hand out thousands of them each day to new customers. just for reference, my old hw8 sb6141 8:4 with the latest 2016 firmware gave me 16ms first hope (same line same equip same tests) while this tm1602a 24:4 does 24ms first hop. my down power is 2 and up is 42 so my  dBmV levels are perfect, and i've tested using a gig port pc directly off the modem's rj45 port so it's not my router or qos.  this is not a trouble shooting question as i already did all that - i simply want to know if charter has a solution that includes waiting for them to push out a firmware upgrade, or swapping this modem for a better model (I'd rather not have to buy my own). 

Hardware Information
System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 1
VENDOR: ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOTR: 2.2.0.45
SW_REV: 9.1.103J8.SIP.PC20.TW
MODEL: TM1602AP2
Serial Number: 77XXXXXXX66
Options:
Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name: TS0901103J8_050616_1602.TM_PC20_TW
Firmware Build Time: Fri May 6 16:23:14 EDT 2016

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: will arris tm1602a puma chipset latency ever get fixed?

You are correct that your present cable signal levels are optimal.  However, if you are planning to use sites with  IPv6 addressing, know that the TM1602 does not properly support them, only the VoIP phone connection.  Since Spectrum only rents 'All-In-One' gateway devices, you should purchase your own separate iunternet cable modem, using Spectrum's list of approved devices as a guide.  You will also need a router with WiFi, appropriate for the data speed to which you will subscribe.  We often suggest a router with Gigabit ports and at least AC1900 wireless capability, more like AC3100 if you plan to have more than 10 to 12 devices all connected by WiFi, or more than 5 WiFi devices streaming HD video or gaming.

Expert

Use the 6141....

Post current modem signal level and error log pages, let's make sure there's not an obvious issue.

When you changed modems, did you reset the routers wan side to factory defaults then autodetect wan settings?

8ms is not an issue. stability is an issue, Copy and paste a tracert to google.com

Spectator

clear evidence tm1602a is total crap - all hardware, wiring, even the public ip assigned by charter's dhcp is the same, only the modems have changed, notice even in the middle of the night the tm1602a can't return a ping consistently.  this is really shameful that after all the work charter is doing to ready it's network for docsis3.1 it's still giving out lousey new equipment because it probably got stuck with a shipping container full of them.

6141v1602.jpg

use if picture does not load here

and yes, i had provisioning reset/reload this modem twice, these tests are done right off the modem's lan port with no customer patch or hardware effecting results.  please stop wasting time with troubleshooing ideas and get charter to answer the original question - if/when will they ever get arris to fix the puma implimentation and push out that update to tens of thousends of modems charter is sticking us with.  ironic how charter marketing and provisioning is coordinating a new plan to remove and replace millions of 4 and 8 channel modems still in use, when they can't even provide a new 24 channel modem that works properly on their own network.

Expert

This is peer to peer support.

You won't get stable ping returns at 300 meg DS rates because the timing is off. It is very irregular whereas at 50 to 100 it's more constant.

That may be the difference and it shows on a wide variety of modem mfg's.

Why do you think you need 300 megs and stable ping times?

They will not exist reliably on a cable modem system. And especially if IPv4 and IPv6 are mixed.

If you want a firmware update, contact the manufacturer that sold you the "junk" version...

We have no clue what spectrum is rolling out or when but historicly it's within a year of the release date as it needs to be tested and tweaked.

Proven Sharer

Just a reminder that this is a TIME-WARNER CABLE forum site, not Charter, Brighthouse, Comcast, or other parts of the Spectrum merger.  The forum is staffed by TWC customers [not employees] who volunteer their time and experience to assist other TWC--> Spectrum users with questions.  We have no interest in the management or operation of any of those companies.  

You did provide one helpful hint when you said your public IP is still the same as before.  That tells us you did not reset the TM1602 router to factory defaults before Spectrum tried to reprovision it. 

Spectator

you did not reset the TM1602 router to factory defaults before Spectrum tried to reprovision it.   ridiculous... it's charters equipment.  i pointed out to provisioning i was getting the same public ip and they didn't care.  i did a release and renew overnight and that didn't matter.  dhcp assigns a new public ip based on the MAC of the device you plug into your modem (your brain may be stuck on Y2K dsl modems)  so factory resetting this brand new modem would not only be pointless, but it may interfere with charters own provisioning protocols that assumes you plugged it in as it was set by the home modem kit preperation department.

and yes, i know this is a sub moderated forum, but one can still hope some.one@charter.com actually reads this stuff, and cares enough to inquire on issues discussed here internally, if not with us publically.  most don't realize this is a sensitive time for charter.   they will be reaching a merger milestone this March, and during 2018 will do free system wide speed bumps, offer 1gb in select markets, offer small cellular home gateways in select markets.  they already have a reputation for downgrading legacy dvr equipment, issuing outdated wifi/modems, and now even their telco/modems are deficient.  2018 will be an eqic fail for this company if they don't get out ahead of this kind of sub standard equipment nonsense.

Proven Sharer

Sounds like you are the new forum expert on Charter's technical practices.  But again, this is the formerly TWC forum site, so don't expect "some.one@Charter.com" in management to read your postings complaining about the Arris tm1602a EMTA modem they provided for your telephone service.  

Let's go back to your original request.  "I simply want to know if charter has a solution that includes waiting for them to push out a firmware upgrade, or swapping this modem for a better model (I'd rather not have to buy my own).   We don't get advance briefings on modem solutions from Charter, and in case you didn't get the word, it's all called Spectrum now.

Browser

The latest firmware does not fix the Intel puma 6 problem it just tries to cover up the problem so tests like the one on dslreports.com do not pick it up. It is still their and Arris is being sued over this issue. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31614833-Equip-Intel-Puma-6-chipset-issue-now-solved
Expert

Reprovisioning won't necessarily give you a new public IP.

Usually changing to a different mfg of router will change the public IP.

Sometimes hanging from one modem to another will change the public IP

Changing an all in one from NAT to bridged deffinitely assigns a different public IP...

None of the above has anthing to do with a modem firmware update or indicates one was received other than you having a printed out copy of the modems f/w and H/w versions, before and after  /... There will also be a date