Rookie

Wireless extender and MOCA

I recently switched to Spectrum triple play from Frontier FIOS (formerly Verizon). I have a Gateway ubee DVW32CB.  When I was with Verizon, I got an actiontec network extender WCB3000n and used it at the other end of the house. It worked perfectly. I did not need or use the ECB2500C. 

I just got a 2-way splitter and new 18" cables. Both sides of the splitter work fine with the tv. But the 3000n doesn't seem to pick up the coax signal.  Thepower light and  2.4 and 5 lights are on but not the coax light. 

Actiontec tech support port says it's because my gateway isn't moca enabled. Sure enough, the MOCA light is not lit on my gateway.  And when I go to the menus at the ip address, the MOCA menu in particular, MOCA is not enabled. And I the system won't let me enable it. 

Is Actiontec correct?  Should I be trying to enable it?  How can can I enable it?  If I do, will the extender work like it did before?  Or am I wasting my time?  Can I reasononably get a working extender from Spectrum? 

3 REPLIES 3
Expert

Re: Wireless extender and MOCA

Nope, they used moca for whole house dvr's and never modems, it's permanently disabled.

It creates all sorts of issues on the cable systems as well, moca stop filters must be installed in the proper places for a start. . run an ethernet cable there instead.

Power line adapters sorta work but are prone to have slow speeds and a lot of noise, you're better off with a hi power router with visible antennas

Rookie

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. So, it's either buy and live with a 150 foot cat 6 Ethernet cable or buy a new network extender. Are you able to recommend one with the best coverage and least installation hassle?  Thanks again. 

Expert

If you have a dedicated coax that's not used for cable tv, use a moca adapter on it. You won't get the bandwidth that a cat 6 provides if you need it.

moca adapters don't need connection to cable tv service, and cable signals do detract, must be filtered out so that there's no security issues with the neighbors. especially cable boxes and modems that don't have internal " 1gHz low pass filter" marked on them.

They are not compatable with any Dish/ Directv or cable WHDVR's  system either.

I just don't understand how this worked in the first place....

If you had a wholehouse DVR, it might have used the master DVR for Moca...