Not applicable

WiFi is fluctuating

I don’t really understand many terms or how WiFi works but I tested my WiFi connection multiple times on different devices and at times it fluctuates from 12 mbs to around 80 but most of the time it’s around 20-30 mbs. I tested the WiFi via Ethernet mutiple times on my laptop and got higher speeds of 70-120 Mbs. Please help this problem has lasted 2 weeks now
6 REPLIES 6
Proven Sharer

Re: WiFi is fluctuating

@Dalvi23 wrote:
I don’t really understand many terms or how WiFi works but I tested my WiFi connection multiple times on different devices and at times it fluctuates from 12 mbs to around 80 but most of the time it’s around 20-30 mbs. I tested the WiFi via Ethernet mutiple times on my laptop and got higher speeds of 70-120 Mbs. Please help this problem has lasted 2 weeks now

1.  Wired connection will almost ALWAYS be faster than WiFi Connections.

2.  Speed acheived via WiFi will be a function of congestion, noise, interference, and signal quality.

To that end, can you advise:

a.  How many of your neighbors have WiFi Routers?  What wireless channels do they use?  (You can figure this out by performing a site-survey using a wireless device, such as your laptop.  This is done by 'searching for networks')

b.  How many devices are connected simultaneously, especially when you observe that your speed drops.

Rookie

Download some software.  You can get software that measures your wifi signal strength, wifi noise, and shows you which channels your neighbors are on.  Those results will tell you a lot about your wifi.  You should also see if that speed varies by where you are in the house.  If I even get 30 ft from my wifi point on the 5-g network my speed drops considerably, especially if my AC is running.  It doesn't do that right next to the wifi.

Helper

@IRKhelpme wrote:

Download some software.  ...

Can you recommend something specific for the original poster? Windows or Mac based? Android or iOS?

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Your internet data speed over WiFi is not directly related to the speed of your incoming connection, except that WiFi CANNOT EVER BE FASTER than the cable internet connection for which you pay Spectrum every month. 

WiFi radio signals fluctuate because of many factors in your residential environment which Spectrum does not control and cannot guarantee.  If your WiFi speed changed dramatically, it may indicate that someone else in your area has added a WiFi network on the same channel as yours, or that there is interference from some other external source.

Spectrum's internet speed ratings are based solely on you using an ethernet connection directly from the internet data modem, without any intervening hubs, data switches, routers, or other networking equipment.  Your computing or gaming devices must be capable of operation at the subscribed speed tier.

Not applicable

I have over 15 neighbors with WiFi routers most of them with dualband networks. There are 2 networks on Chanel 38, 3 on 42 and about 5 on 50. My network is set on 153 with 2 other networks based on the WiFi analyzer app on Android. There is also 5 networks on Chanel 149. These are all 5g btw. Sorry if this is confusing I don’t really know how to word it
Sharer

May also want to double check your channel widths as well.

Depending on how channels are used nearby, you may be better off with a more narrow width so you can avoid some crosstalk. Sure, it may reduce your top-end speeds.... but it may raise your bottom end speeds so things are more consistent.