Rookie

Why is a Spectrum router needed with the modem?

So, I recently upgraded to Ultra and the technician came to install the new cable modem and router.  The previous modem had a router built in.  I told the technician that I don't need a router as I had my own.  

However, the service did not work.  I checked my hooking my computer directly into the cable modem.

Finally, the technician installed the Spectrum router and the service worked.  My question is why is the router necessary for internet service?  Shouldn't the cable modem by itself be sufficient?

7 REPLIES 7
Observer

Re: Why is a Spectrum router needed with the modem?

depending on what modem you get the modem might not have wifi built in it there for requiring a router. but if you have your own router you can use it and save the 5.00 a month for the wifi charge by using your own router

Helper

There is no requirement to use a router and not everyone wants or uses wifi. A computer direct connected to the modem should be able to connect to the internet with no problems, assuming the ethernet cable was connected to the correct port.

So you were unable to connect to the internet both when direct connected to the modem and when using your own router?

Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

depending on what modem you get the modem might not have wifi built in it there for requiring a router. but if you have your own router you can use it and save the 5.00 a month for the wifi charge by using your own router

There is no $5 wifi charge on Ultra or Gig tiers.

Rookie

Yes, that was my thinking too.  I connected my computer directly to the modem and it didn't work.  The tech kept saying you also need the router and I told him that doesn't make sense.  But lo and behold, he connected the router he had brought with him and it worked.  

My issue is that I am trying to minimize all the hardware we have.  I already have a Google Wifi router and I would like to connect that directly to the modem. 

Proven Sharer

You CAN connect your Google router in place of the unit Spectrum provided.  However, you first have to reset your router to its factory default settings before you power up the modem.  Then the modem will load the Spectrum network settings into your router. 

Be sure you tell Spectrum that you will NOT be using their router WiFi.  If you forget it will cost you an extra $5 per month.

Participant

OP is on Ultra.   There is no $5 charge for wifi on Ultra or Gig, no matter whose router you use.

Highlighted
Rookie

Thank you. I will try that tonight