Why I am charged for speeds I do not need?

I have a basic 2-person home, do not play games, do not download videos - just answer emails, check facebook, do some online shopping; as a TWC customer, they always had basic 15 mbps plan i could enroll.  Now, with Spectrum, they only offer 100 mbps and charge way more for services i do not need.  Anyone dealt with this - only needing certain speeds but getting charged for excessive one; wouldnt the FCC mandate that they offer a minimum speed for customers - especially lower income ones.

2 REPLIES 2
Proven Sharer

Re: Why I am charged for speeds I do not need?

@mckelveyesquire wrote:

I have a basic 2-person home, do not play games, do not download videos - just answer emails, check facebook, do some online shopping; as a TWC customer, they always had basic 15 mbps plan i could enroll.  Now, with Spectrum, they only offer 100 mbps and charge way more for services i do not need.  Anyone dealt with this - only needing certain speeds but getting charged for excessive one; wouldnt the FCC mandate that they offer a minimum speed for customers - especially lower income ones.

In New York State, Spectrum was required to continue offering "Everyday Low Price" Internet at $14.99, which is 3 Mbps up & 1 Down.  If you are in NY State, you will be able to subscribe until March 2018.  If you have it by then, you can keep it until March 2019.  This was a condition of the merger.  I am on this plan, and it suits me fine.  I can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime video, and do all my emails and surfing stuff.  I am a single person household, so if you have a home full of teenagers, this plan wouldn't work for you.

Spectrum's business model going forward is "one or two sizes fit all" with regards to internet speeds.  They are no different that many cellular phone carriers, who like to charge large flat fees per month...

They do offer a discount for low-income families, but qualifiying is a challenge in iteself.    Visit stopthecap dot com for more on this.

Actually the price they want for their standard internet now (which is either 60 Mbps or 100 Mbps now), is way better than similar speeds on the old TWC plan.

Participant

Re: Why I am charged for speeds I do not need?

Were you on the 15 mbps speed before spectrum?  Im pretty sure you would automatically be grandfathered in that plan unless you switch to the new spectrum plan.  I have the 300 plan and wanted to see if changing to spectrum would drop my bill lower but no.  They told me my internet package with the 300 mpbs plan would be more expensive so I just stayed with what I already had.