Highlighted
Not applicable

Why $199 install fee for Gigabit internet?

Since

1. I own a NetGear CM1100 cable modem
  2. I do not have splitters because I only have internet service from Spectrum
  3. My cable drop from the pole is less than 5 years old

I do not understand what the $199 install fee is for.  That's pretty harsh price going from 400Mb to 1Gb for what I see is no extra work needed.  Am I missing anything?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Why $199 install fee for Gigabit internet?

Not sure if they started supporting user owned modems for the "gig" service yet. Maybe in some markets?

So, you may still need to use their modem.

You mentioned a 5 year old drop to your house...

Are you absolutely sure that cable has not been compromised in anyway that might impact your ability to reliably reach at least 960mbps downstream?

And what about the state of the other side of that drop?

The path back to the head end?

Upstream from there, how much bandwidth is available to the IXP... are they going to have to shore things up there as more people adopt the 3.1 level plans going forward?.

Used to get asked this question a lot when we were arranging commercial hookups on projects back when I worked for a software firm. Had to go through the spiel about the site survey and such... how commercial accounts have a certain QoS expectation even if there was no clause addressing it specifically.

Their "gig" service is meant to run on a newer service level than the aging infrastructure they have been running on for over a decade now... DOCSIS 3.0 hit in the middle of Bush's presidency, around 2006.

So yeah... some pretty old tech and transit medium may still be out there.

You may only be aware of the process for hooking up the modem, registering it's MAC and such... but it can potentially be more involved than that depending on the state of everything else that must be in place to assure the expected QoS level.

Is kinda just how things work in the technology sector in general. I sold my Sega Genesis hardware and games to upgrade to my first DVD burner back when they were new... the Pioneer DVR-104 that set me back $200 on ebay. It supported 2x DVD-R write, 1x DVD-RW... and was a proud owner of that beast when I plopped it into the case of my overclocked DX4/75 based system!

Back when cable broadband hit our market, there was a $99 setup fee... whether they sent a subcontractor to possibly run a dedicated line or you opted for the "self install kit". Even those of us in the "beta" group paid it (though, we did get reduced bills during the testing phase that offset it in the end).

Should note this was being driven by a weird halfway point environment between the 1.0 and 2.0 standards too... 1.5m/512k were the bandwidth caps.

Earlier adopters tend pay the way for the new tech to become mainstream.
Highlighted
Helper

There are a few customer owned modems now approved for gig. Having said that, it's not an "install" fee, it's an "upgrade" fee that is designed to deter customers from signing up for gig en masse. The infrastructure couldn't handle everyone on gig. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

it's an "economic disincentive" fee that is designed to deter customers from signing up for faux gig en masse. The infrastructure couldn't handle everyone on gig.

sad but true. 

Highlighted
Not applicable

Highlighted
Valued Participant

I'm going to be a bit contrarian on this, but I think for most things, Ultra is just as good as Gig and it's cheaper. 

Unless you're streaming 5 TV  shows at the same time at 4 K, I don't think there's much of an improvement over Ultra. Only use case I can think of is if you want to download multi-gigabye files such as games for your PS4 or Xbox and you want to download those files fast.

Who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line, Gig speeds for the masses will be imperative, but right now in 2020, not so much. 

Highlighted
Spectator

Thought I'd reply here to all of those who don't know.. I've had 1 GIg service for a little over a year or two now. I actually moved into a newly built home back in October, and moved the service with me. With this, came an additional fee that I was charged for the 1 Gig service. I was able to get them to lower the fee, which was cool. Okay, whatever I said.

Being in IT myself, I hated the fact that I couldn't view signal levels, reboot modem from a web page, or even use a customer owned modem. But I sat and waited. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I check the list of approved modems, and finally see something for the 1 Gig service. Great! I said. Ordered the Netgear CM1200. Finally got around to calling in today to activate this new modem, and I'm told that I have to have a tech come out to install my modem, AND pay a $199 installation fee... And of course, being curious due to being in IT, I ask what's involved with this installation, but get told it's a specialized installation...

Are you kidding me? What is Spectrum doing? I can maybe understand setting up the initial service, as you have to make sure the infrastructure at the house is setup properly to use the service. But as someone who has been using the service just fine for 9 months, I have to pay another $199 fee just to swap MAC addresses in a system? If there is seriously more to this install than I'm aware of, then definitely let me know.
Highlighted
Helper

@tjohnson91 wrote:
Thought I'd reply here to all of those who don't know.. I've had 1 GIg service for a little over a year or two now. I actually moved into a newly built home back in October, and moved the service with me. With this, came an additional fee that I was charged for the 1 Gig service. I was able to get them to lower the fee, which was cool. Okay, whatever I said.

Being in IT myself, I hated the fact that I couldn't view signal levels, reboot modem from a web page, or even use a customer owned modem. But I sat and waited. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I check the list of approved modems, and finally see something for the 1 Gig service. Great! I said. Ordered the Netgear CM1200. Finally got around to calling in today to activate this new modem, and I'm told that I have to have a tech come out to install my modem, AND pay a $199 installation fee... And of course, being curious due to being in IT, I ask what's involved with this installation, but get told it's a specialized installation...

Are you kidding me? What is Spectrum doing? I can maybe understand setting up the initial service, as you have to make sure the infrastructure at the house is setup properly to use the service. But as someone who has been using the service just fine for 9 months, I have to pay another $199 fee just to swap MAC addresses in a system? If there is seriously more to this install than I'm aware of, then definitely let me know.

I think the rep misunderstood the situation. You're already on Gig. All you have to do is get the new modem activated. That should not require a tech visit, and even if so, shouldn't require another "upgrade" fee since you're already there. 

Highlighted
Spectator

Update on the situation. Tech showed up today. Asked me what the visit was about since the order didn't really say much. Told him I needed my new customer owned modem activated because of what was said on the phone. He was as surprised as me. He was in and out of my room within about 15-20 minutes.

Long story short, he did the same thing I tried to do. Called in, said he needed to activate the modem. Gave them the MAC address, waited on hold for about 5-10 minutes, and everything was working. He believes the issue was that the person I spoke with attempted to transfer the internet AND home phone service to this new modem (honestly forgot I even had the home phone service. It's never been hooked up in the 2 + years I've had it bundled) . So if anyone else runs across this situation, make sure you state that you only want the internet service swapped over.

I really hope after everything is said and done that I don't see a $199 fee for something that should have been completed over the phone yesterday. Regardless, new modem is working and I'm happy for now.