Observer

What is a good wi-fi router for a new Hitron modem?

I'm still grandfathered in with TWC for internet (24 mbps DL/2.4 mbps UL) and basic TV (using DTA boxes which are small enough to fit in their places at my parent's house). The Spectrum road crew had to replace a bit of line up on the pole, blame the squirrels. They replaced their modem with a new one that can handle up to gigabit speeds. But they couldn't get my old  Netgear N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR 3400) to work with the modem. I could buy a replacement on Amazon for $50 if necessary. The old 2011 Dell computer is malfunctioning with BSOD's, flash freezes (mouse, keyboard, and clock freeze and I need to reboot), BIOS beeps meaning the RAM is out. There was a flash freeze when they hooked the modem up to the computer and I had to reboot. The Spectrum crew was ready to leave in the middle of a speed test during boot-up that showed 1 mbps DL + less UL. The computer wasn't done booting so I tried to test again a minute later and got 24 DL + 2.4 UL (but I'm disturbed the crew was going to walk out on me during the first test and just blame my computer).

I'm wondering what kind of router I should be buying for this new modem. I have to use wi-fi to use my cell phone because I only get 1 or 2 bars. I hope to upgrade to a 5G phone in the next year or two.  I assume Spectrum will eventually kick me up to their 200/10 plan so a 5G phone might work on that if I'm still at 1 or 2 bars.

My old router is only 100 mbps ethernet, so I think I need something better.  I never use the USB on routers but USB 3 might be a convenience. The Dell computer ethernet is a Broadcom Gigabit.

4 REPLIES 4
Helper

Re: What is a good wi-fi router for a new Hitron modem?

Your internet package is 24 mbps DL/2.4 mbps UL...there is no reason to get anything more than the N600 unless you plan to upgrade your internet package to a Spectrum plan. At that point a newer AC rated router with gig ports would be beneficial.

Did you factory reset the router when you connected it to the new modem?

Also, 5G cell service would be completely separate than using wifi. It's one or the other, not both at the same time.

Observer

I found another ethernet cable that came with the old router, so I'll try that. I printed up the router manual so I can attempt to figure this out. I have a paperclip to hit the reset button.

The technician said the lights were blinking too fast on the router and that it might be malfunctioning.

Helper

Blinking lights on most of the front panel sections indicate data flow and is a good thing, with the exception of the power icon. If it's blinking amber it's downloading a firmware update and is okay but blinking green is an error. 

Observer

I got my Netgear router running again after doing the factory reset of the router and replacing the CMOS battery in the 8 year old computer. I was about to order a TP-Link AC 1750 Smart  Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router on Amazon for $50 if I couldn't get this system going again. I'll have to save that idea for another time (on here).