Newcomer

What could cause this?

I have always had problems with internet connection, but recently it's getting unbearable. 

On a good day I'll get a connection that will last a few hours before requiring a reboot, and on the worst days it's so slow its unusable, even if the connection holds at all. Which more often than not it doesn't.

I recently called spectrum hoping to get a technician to look into this problem but I get a canned response that this is normal and it's being taken care of, which I doubt because its been like this for months.

I've done everything on my end to resolve this; from purchasing a new modem, to running a new length of RG6 coax cable straight from the ground to the modem. And yet the problem persists. No I don't have any splitters or filters on my end, its a straight run to the CM700 modem and the cable is brand new.

Here is how the connection looks after about a day of use (it crashed and power cycled early in the morning):

Snapshot_2019-05-24_184518_192.168.100.1.pngSnapshot_2019-05-24_184600_192.168.100.1.png

Bear in mind this is on a good day where its working as well as it probably ever will.

Can anyone help?

5 REPLIES 5
Sharer

Re: What could cause this?

WOW... those are some scary signal levels. Surprised you actually captured that upstream power level... modem's usually reboot before they climb that high.

This is NOT a "normal" signal page. If whoever you are on the phone with does not see the problems there... you need to speak to someone else.

If they haven't recently done so, someone needs to come on site and check things out. If it isn't within your home, it is something outside, up on the pole, or somewhere further up/down the lines in your neighborhood.

Signal levels are too low, and what is there has too much noise in the line.
Helper

Modems are rarely the cause of connection issues. If you bought the new modem recently I would return it and save your money. 

These signals are definitely not normal...this is pretty much a textbook case of extremely poor signals. Keep calling for a tech visit. The rep that told you these signals are "normal" should be sent for re-training immediately. If the in-home tech finds that all is good from your modem back to the street/alley/pedestal...then they would need to initiate a ticket for another crew to check the main lines. 

Established Sharer

Not only will I "pile on" to what's already been said, I'll explain in a bit more detail in case you get a "know little" tech (sadly, Spectrum still has a number of those fielding calls).

Downstream signal levels below -10 or above +10 are very bad, and you have 9 channels out of 22 in the "below -10" state, plus one right at -10 -- and all of your downstream channels are too close to -10 for comfort.

Any signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) below 30 is bad, and that's where your primary downstream channel is sitting.  The higher channels show that your SNR for every channel should be in the 35-38 range.

Your modem has rejected all of the low frequency channels, you're starting with Channel ID 8 (9 and 12 have also been rejected).  This may indicate that you have an old "trap" device on your line, if so, simply removing the "trap" might fix most or all of your problems.

Any upstream power level above 50 is bad, yours is well above 50 and is probably the reason you're getting only one upstream channel.

If you can't convince the "droids" to dispatch a tech the next time you call, tell them that you want to drop all of your Spectrum services -- they will transfer you to someone who will agree to have a tech dispatched in order to keep you as a customer.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Another issue that RickE alluded to is that you only have 22 working and bonded DS channels.  Virtually every CMTS server in Charter's system is programmed to assign DS channels in blocks of 8 at a time, so you should have 8, 16, or 24 if the cable plant and your modem are both working properly. 

The combination of very high error couints on so many of your DS channels AND seeing only a single uplink at over +56 dBmV tells me that the distribution trunk cable is mechanically damaged.  If you've recently had high winds bringing tree branches down (most of the country this winter!), the line maintenance crews have some serious troubleshooting and repair work to do before Spectrum can deliver clean internet running at rated speeds up and down. 

Last, if you are paying for a Gigabit connection, despite what the modem manufacturers have printed on their retail packaging, Spectrum has not yet certified ANY Gigabit modems for customer purchase and installation at this time. Use only the modem which they provide (at no extra charge) for a Gigabit connection.

Community Manager

@Vallain , 

We agree with your Forum peers and recommend a service call to address the issue with signal levels.  For assistance, you can contact us directly by private message at @Forums_Help . 

You can also reach us on Social Media at: