Highlighted
Not applicable

WIFI dropping out

I have been using an old Netgear router in my small mobile home. I'm still having dropouts from wifi now and then (inconsistent). My question is do you think I really need to be using the router at all?

The only device that drops out of the wifi is my laptop which is right beside the Spectrum modem and Netgear router.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Do I need a router?

IF the only device needing internet access is the laptop, you can certainly use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop directly to the modem, although it isn't recommended as your computer would not benefit from the additional protection of the router's built-in firewall and would be exposed like a raw nerve.  I would suggest using the router but turn off its wifi radio if you don't need it and direct connect the laptop to it.

Having said that, your dropout may not be wifi related at all, but rather signal issues from the coax instead. If this is the case you will continue to have dropouts whether on wifi or direct connected.  Post the modem's signal levels page and event logs.  Also, how is the coax connected from the incoming main line (splitters, length of cable runs)?

Not applicable

@reds91185wrote:

IF the only device needing internet access is the laptop, you can certainly use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop directly to the modem, although it isn't recommended as your computer would not benefit from the additional protection of the router's built-in firewall and would be exposed like a raw nerve.  I would suggest using the router but turn off its wifi radio if you don't need it and direct connect the laptop to it.

Having said that, your dropout may not be wifi related at all, but rather signal issues from the coax instead. If this is the case you will continue to have dropouts whether on wifi or direct connected.  Post the modem's signal levels page and event logs.  Also, how is the coax connected from the incoming main line (splitters, length of cable runs)?

Thank you for your reply. I am an elderly 86 yr old widow and do not understand about the signal levels page and logs.  The router doesn't have a radio, it's on older Netgear model that my son setup many years ago.

Not applicable

The Netgear router goes back to my Time Warner years about 2006.  Could it be that the new Modem will work fine without a router at all? It is a TC8717T model modem.

Thank you in advance.

Helper

This might be the source of the problem right here. The 8717 is a modem/router combo. If the 8717 is not set to bridge mode the netgear is redundant and is causing your dropouts.

Do one of the following:
1. Call Spectrum and have them set the 8717 to bridge mode, then use your Netgear as usual.
2. Disconnect the Netgear. Configure your WiFi directly through the 8717.