Spectator

WIFI Keeps Dropping

We have an issue where devices conected on the WIFI will lose connections. This happens over and over again with a couple of laptops, or wifi printer which we need to reset everytime we need to print so it connects to the wifi, with some of our wifi security cameras and even people who are visiting will notice they lose wifi when connected. Most times we can fix the connection by retarting the device that was connected but at other times we need to reboot the modem/router.  We never had this issue when we were with another service this only came about when we switced to TW. I even bought a WIFI extender in hope that would help with the connection problem . I am thinking I should just buy my own router/modem and hope that resolves the issue. Is that a good idea though?

10 REPLIES 10
Expert

Re: WIFI Keeps Dropping

The TWC wireless devices are limited to 10 devices.

Make sure WPS is off and the wireless DHCP lease is set for a day, not an hour

get your own quality  wirelessaccess point that will cover your entire house

Helper

@MsRaye wrote:

The TWC wireless devices are limited to 10 devices.

Make sure WPS is off and the wireless DHCP lease is set for a day, not an hour

get your own quality  wirelessaccess point that will cover your entire house

I think the only limiting factor is the softwar default to one digit on Lan IP address issuance? 

.1  results in 10 devices max..

Expert

Change DHCP start to 192.168.1.100 and allow 25 devices then.

Single last digits are a known issue.

Stick the printer and camera's on static IP's of 192.168.1.99 on down.

Get rid of as much wireless as possible, especially the printer

Spectator

Thanks for the reply turning off wps  has already made a difference and the DHCP was set at 3600 already 

Expert

if that's 3600 seconds, that's one hour, take it to 10x that.

WPS- on- seems to have someone trying to hack you I think... are you in dense housing or do you have a phone trying to autoconnect?

Spectator

Live in a wooded area houses are not real close. I know when at home the cellphones connect to the WIFI and now have it set at 36,000.  Does the channel  its on matter much it was on 1 and I changed it to 11. Thanks again

Expert

1 is where all the auto scans start.

If you do a scan with your wireless device, put it on 1-6-11 if any are clear... If all have high levels, use ch 3 or 8

Newcomer

Hi i have had the same experience since switching from DSL carrier to TW. I was so excited about all the bandwidth and it is great when it feels like working. We drop Wi-Fi, Ethernet, phone, and TV all the time. My wife needed the high bandwidth for college and work. I just wanted it, & 3 teens, 2 roku's, a wifi printer, 5 smartphones, 2 laptops 3 tablets, 3 desktops!. We bought the top bandwidth package, and after countless tech support calls, & visits, we finally bought a 2 band modem, which is nice, but it was not the panacea tech support promised. We have had this for 3 years now.
Please someone give me a solution!
One other note we have observed that when the due date on the bill approaches this picks up until everything becomes unusable. As soon as we pay the bill this stops, returning to every ten minutes. Its not like we owe any money its just a one month bill? I guess it could be coincidental
Expert

You should not be relying on wifi, get most devices on a wired connection, not wireless