Valued Participant

Using Single Cable for STB and Cable Modem

Hi 

Can I use a splitter to share the same cable drop in my living room  for my STB and Cable Modem? Right now the living room cable drop is connected directly to my Samsung STB with CableCARD. For inernet, my cable modem is in another room. I would like to connect an Android streaming box to the TV  for streaming, but I would like it to connect directly to router rather than use WiFI. If I move cable modem to living room will a cable splitter be supported?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Expert

Re: Using Single Cable for STB and Cable Modem

You need to bypas the existig splitter so the old jack is dead, then move the splitter to the other room. All you need is a barrel splice and 1 or 2 rg6 jumper cables to go from the splitter to the devices

Valued Participant

Hi MsRaye - The existing splitter is in the TWC box on the outside of the house. From there, there are two separate cables: One going to my office, where the cable modem is, and another going to Living Rm where STB is. Just to confirm, are you saying remove the cable to the cable modem from splitter outside and on the Living Rm cable, put a splitter there? Do I need some type of termination when the cable is removed outside?

Established Sharer

To change your current configuration to the "best" choice for having the cable modem and set-top box in the same room, remove the splitter on the outside of the house, connect the incoming cable line to the living room line with a barrel connector (available at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc., usually in a 2-pack), then place the splitter on the living room incoming cable, and you'll need a pair of coax to connect the splitter outputs to the cable modem and set-top box.

If you have wallplates (which have barrel connectors in them), then you'll have the one of coax that you'll need (from the office), if you just have "holes" in the office and living room then you'll need to purchase the coax pair for hookup (unless you have some stashed away).

Label the office cable in the TWC box on the outside, you don't have to do anything else with it because the coax that is disconnected should not affect anything else.  If you happen to have a pair of terminators sitting idle, you could attach them to each end of the office cable with barrels to reduce oxidation on the ends, but that's overkill... if you decide to hook up the office cable again a TWC/Spectrum tech would probably cut off the ends and put fresh connectors on anyway.

Also be sure to put on all new connections finger-tight, then use a wrench to snug them up.

Valued Participant

Thank you RickE!!! I figured that is what MsRaye meant as well, but I wanted to verify. I also wanted to make sure that that the STB and Cable Modem did not require any special terminations. I appreciate the help!

Expert

Hopefully there is a grounding block in the outside box, if so simply remove the splitter and the jumper, connect the cable for the outlet you want to the grounding block....

A picture is worth 1000 words...

Highlighted
Valued Participant

Thank you MsRaye! I should have taken a photo and posted. I think the recommendations that you and RickE suggested should work for me. I appreciate the help, as always.