Observer

Upgraded modem wifi confusion

My area is currently in the midst of the Maxx upgrade, and I received the notice that I should upgrade my modem to accommodate the higher speeds.

Went down to the local TW office, and was given the Arris TG1672G.  Since this model also is a router, I asked the rep if this would replace the TW "Ambit Gateway" wifi router I was given six years ago when I signed up with the service.

He replied that I should probably keep the old Ambit Gateway, since I was not currently being charged the $5 wifi fee, which I would be if I activated the new modem's router capability.  I should mention that I'm on the standard internet plan, and have never been charged a wifi fee despite having the TW Ambit router for six years.

So basically I'm just confused.  I have only rudimentary computer/cable saviness, basically I just want to connect the new modem and activate it with minimal effort and issue.  Once activated, will the new modem tie in to the old router automatically?  The new modem's built in router won't automatically turn on and conflict with the Ambit Gateway?  And why would I be charged $5 now for using TW provided wifi equipment, when I've been using it for six years?

And is it a known fact that my current "old" modem won't be able to handle the higher speeds? (set to begin in about a month, btw..)

Thanks for the help..

19 REPLIES 19
Lead Moderator

Re: Upgraded modem wifi confusion

Using the old modem would not be advisable.

If you continue to use the old modem this will cause issues not only for you but for others in your area.

We would be happy to take a look at the account. If the wireless codes are on the account 

as a promotional offering that does not expire that may explain the access without an associated cost

on your account. 

TWC_ForumsHelp  to contact us directly.

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Helper

Unhook it the Ambit, plug the TG in, call the activation number that came with the moodem(with a cell phone if the phone is part of your modem tw service) its in the brochure, when prompted do Other or some such with the prompts to get a rep, they are good, and can help you set up the wireless through the backside of the modem/router. They helped me set up a password and number.

As for cost if you are not paying now for wifi you should not later, , its basically the same type of unit, just much newer.

Good luck.

Expert

You can't run 2 modems unless one is for phone only and levels are sufficient.

Also, for  speed tiers lower than 30/5, Wifi-wireless is an aditional $5 a month

Observer

Reading my original mssg, I see that it might be confusing.  I currently have an old modem (which TW mounted with a screw in the rafters of my basement, the new bigger modem will not fit in the same spot, hmm), and the Ambit Gateway router.  Two separate pieces of equipment.

Observer

Also, I don't intend to keep the old modem, was just wondering aloud if it really couldn't handle the higher speeds.. Smiley Wink

Expert

I seriously doubt that TWC mounted a modem, Please describe it.. bet it's a splitter/amplifier.

Observer

Oh, it's the modem allright.  The side of it is pegged with a screw (or something, can't tell) to a joist board along the basement ceiling, and it's hanging by it.  Installed six years ago by TW tech:

modem

Spectrum Employee

@section31 wrote:

Oh, it's the modem allright.  The side of it is pegged with a screw (or something, can't tell) to a joist board along the basement ceiling, and it's hanging by it.  Installed six years by TW tech:

modem

That is... not Standard Operating Procedures... what the heck man...

/facepalm

The only reason it's probably down here in the first place I'm guessing is because that's where the main connection for the RJ-11 (phone) wiring is for the home's RJ-11 outlets.

Worse, it looks like a electrical power cable is runing right next to the modem, that's never a good idea for keeping the signal clean.  Would there be somewhere else this could be installed?  Or rather, some way the RJ-11 wiring can be run from upstairs to down here?  I'm not on-site to see what the options are specifically, but there's got to be a better way than what I see in this picture...

Also from just looking at that modem, I know what it is, and that's a pretty old model.  They stopped making it several years ago (almost a decade I think), so yeah, it's time for an upgrade!

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

Is this for phone only and do you have a seperate one for internet upstairs ?

What's the model # on this? I can almost read it... 5022?