Valued Participant

Upgrade worth it from SB6141 to Netgear CM600 for extra channels?

I currently have 100/10 with the SB6141 8x4 bonding channels. If I upgrade my modem to Netgear CM600 under the same plan, would I notice lower latency or stability with the 24x8 bonding channels?

I’m thinking about the Ultra plan in the future which would use CM600, but wondering if it’s good to buy it even now before I upgrade just for the extra channels.

If I’d improve my latency/ping times, I’m all for it.
3 REPLIES 3
Helper

Re: Upgrade worth it from SB6141 to Netgear CM600 for extra channels?

Doubtful that you'd notice much difference on the current tier. If you upgrade speeds then yes definitely go for the CM600. The 24x8 would be limited to either 16x4 or 24x4 depending on your area.

You mention "stability"  as a motivator. Are you having dropouts or signal issues now? If so, a new modem won't fix that.

Valued Participant

No latency issues in terms of stability, guess I didn’t need to bring that up.

So if my ping times/latency in gaming is 40-50 ping on a certain server, would that certain server be improved with speed increase?

Local latency if I ping www.ups.com is 11 ms. So don’t know how much more it can improve overall?
Helper

Ping and latency are generally independent of speeds and bandwidth. For gaming and other latency sensitive apps (video conferencing, etc) having the extra bonded download channels could help if your connection is maxed out, but upload won't change.  I think the bigger indicator of latency will be the number of hops to the destination server and how congested each leg is along the way.