Browser

Uncorrectable errors

I checked out my modem status page this morning out of complete curiosity and noticed my Uncorrectable errors were far above my correctable errors on every channel. I foolishly cleared the errors before copying them, but wanted to ask if weather could impact the errors.

Recently my service has been good and my signal levels are within range. I check my modem fairly regularly, so I know these errors had to accumulate recently and wonder if they could have corresponded with some vicious thunderstorms we had. Does anyone know if weather can/should cause a spike in errors?

5 REPLIES 5
Rookie

Re: Uncorrectable errors

Yeah storms can do that, I would not worry about it too much unless it starts affecting things.

Expert

If it was windy out, could be connections going bad, breaking in the wind

Or power loss at the pole amplifiers, a lot of areas don't have battery backup....

Browser

Thanks to you both. That must be it as I reset about three hours ago and errors are zero all the way down on Correcteds and Uncorrectable. Technology is a very fickle thing. Smiley Happy

Rookie

yeah it sure is Smiley Happy

Spectrum Employee

To undersrtand the difference using an analogy...

If we were having a cellphone conversation and you could hear me through the static & noise and understand what I was saying, those are "correctable" errors.

If we were having a cellphone conversation and you couldn't understand what I was saying because the transmission was too garbled, those are "uncorrectable" errors.

Neither is "good", but a few errors are expected over a period of time (especially with power outages & such).
Modems tend to get more errors during reboot (I usually reset the counters AFTER the reboot finishes).

Uncorrectables are arguably worse than correctables. (uncorrectabes are packet loss, essentially)

No real-world engineered system is perfect, but you want it to be reasonably stable enough.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.