Established Sharer

Re: UGH THIS INTERNET

@anon2020 wrote:

Anyone have an idea if there is a better modem I could use for the internet AND phone that isn't an arris?

-----------

NEVER use a modem with integrated wifi, and never PAY an ISP for wifi.

Get your own router, and use that for wifi.

Valued Contributor

I am not sure if I can, I'll have t wait till after the 4th to get to a twc store. I've talked with tech support and all they did was reboot the modem with shocker no luck in getting it to work.

I do want to thank the others who chimed in with suggestions. DaKat I do plan on getting a modem and router separately because it seems that from what I've read that's the best action. 

I will try to get something like that MsRaye first before I purchase my modem and router just to alleviate the problems until then.

Proven Sharer

If you are in Ohio with AT&T telephone service they no longer offer DSL. Last year the PUCO allowed them to drop all existing DSL CO loop circuits and reroute those to the neighborhood ethernet U-verse switch/hub and fiber networks. The "last mile" media is still UTP copper overhead from residence to the hub location.  Some of the independent Telcos are still working through the transition from copper to glass.

You are NOT allowed to own the modem used to provide your telephone service; that one must belong to TWC, be serviced by them, and it is free. You can buy your own internet modem or rent one from TWC. Rumor is that Charter will be providing those for free after the takeover, so don't bother buying a new modem today that won't pay for itself in 18 months or so.

Expert

You can also have TWC put the router in bridged mode, turn off all the wireless and use a decent router that you buy and maintain yourself. Get something with visible antenna's.

I would also lock channels to either 3 or 8 as 1-6-11 are horribly overloaded and even though there's overlap, 3 &8 perform better than sharing a channel.

You will also get better coverage by narrowing the bandwidth(set max speed lower)

Also, verify TWC hasn't set the WIFI guest access on and is using your combo as a "wifi hotspot"

Any 2.4 gHz devices like cordles phones, video cameras, microwave ovens, trash 2.4 and do not show up as channel useage as they are not the same modulation, they'll only show as a poor s/n

Proven Sharer

In addition, the channels Ms Raye wrote about are in the 2.4 GHz band. To avoid interference from the neighborhood junk already operating on 2.4 GHz channels 1 thru 11, lock all your devices that can run 802.11 A-C higher speeds on the 5 GHz band, not 802.11 g on 2.4 GHz. Up there they will run at least 200 Mbps (faster than a CAT-5 cable) without as much interference. 802.11 g is only 54 mbps at best.

Proven Sharer

Note that hop 9 of both your traceroutes, where the delay jumps up to about 140 msec, is the edge of TWC's network and that's where TWC's speed rating stops. Crossing into XO.com it slows and drags.- no surprise there!  I agree the uncorrected errors are clue to fixing the disconnects and channel changes.

Expert

That is a commonly perceived issue that might not be an actual issue. That backbone/ transport provider might have ping replies set as a lower priority than actual traffic or turned off like game servers do.

or there is some throttling done to the competition like AT&T was caught doing in Chicago, bumping TWC traffic thru 3-4 servers in the same datacenter, lol Woman Sad for me to go to my next door neighbor on Uverse, it takes 15-20 hops, usually to Chicago and back

Proven Sharer

If you have ANY one WiFi device running 802.11G, the entire WiFi throughput is limited to 54 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. A mix of several devices on Wi-Fi always results in speed restriction surprises.

Valued Contributor

@karlbeckman wrote:

If you are in Ohio with AT&T telephone service they no longer offer DSL. Last year the PUCO allowed them to drop all existing DSL CO loop circuits and reroute those to the neighborhood ethernet U-verse switch/hub and fiber networks. The "last mile" media is still UTP copper overhead from residence to the hub location.  Some of the independent Telcos are still working through the transition from copper to glass.

You are NOT allowed to own the modem used to provide your telephone service; that one must belong to TWC, be serviced by them, and it is free. You can buy your own internet modem or rent one from TWC. Rumor is that Charter will be providing those for free after the takeover, so don't bother buying a new modem today that won't pay for itself in 18 months or so.

I live in 44827. As far as the service goes, I know I would need their phone modem and all that I did not plan on buying something for internet and phone as clearly they are few and far between anyway.

Valued Contributor

@karlbeckman wrote:

If you have ANY one WiFi device running 802.11G, the entire WiFi throughput is limited to 54 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. A mix of several devices on Wi-Fi always results in speed restriction surprises.

How would I go about finding out if any devices are running that way?