Browser

Two Modems: one for Internet and one for phone?

Hi - I am increasing capabilities of in-home network router/switches to support trunking and link aggregations.  Currently, I have the TG1672 16x4 modem and am looking at upgrading to full 1GB modem and can't find any with telephone connection (the MB8600 looks very nice).   So I read that some people will have one modem for internet and then just use something like the TG1672 for phone only.  How is this wired with the incoming coax?  Currently, my inbound coax connects to a PPC EVO 1-5-U/P powered splitter provided by TWC.  One output obviously goes to the cable modem and others to TWC Box locations.  Do I just need to replace/configure the new cable modem with the existing coax and use a separate coax to go to the TG1672 to preserve phone connection?   Thanks for any assistance!

9 REPLIES 9
Contributor

Re: Two Modems: one for Internet and one for phone?

That would work.  Most people just add a two way splitter into the coax feeding the original modem and connect the new data and phone modems to the outputs of that splitter.  Works fine as long as your signal strength is great enough to handle the splitter 3.5 dB loss. 

Helper

There is no point in buying your own modem with phone connections since phone service requires using the supplied modem. You would just split the incoming coax with one leg going to the phone modem and one leg going to the data modem of your choice, assuming your signal level is strong enough and you don't introduce too much noise. 

Expert

Stick the 1672 into bridged mode and buy a real router...

If you need IPv6, you'll also need to buy a modem, get one that does more than 16 channels. Doesn't need to be top of the line.

Hopefully your levels are good enough to allow a n aditional 3.5 dB of loss from the needed splitter...

Browser

Thanks for the replies.  Our TV (Cable)/DVR signal has always had some issues, hence why TWC installed the powered PPC splitter.   However, splitting the coax into two - one for TG1672 and second for new WAN modem is simple enough. 

Yes, I have had the TG1672 in bridged mode from day 1.  I am looking to upgrade router, also.  It's a wired-only router, I can't use wifi from that location in the home.  Looking at the TP_Link TL-R600VPN router.

Which signal strength are you referring to?  I assume you mean the Downstream Power?  It's running around 6.0 - 6.5 over the 16 channels with a SNR of 36-38.  Upstream power is around 37 dBmV.

Expert

plenty of headroom for a 3.5 dB loss splitter.. or you can use an unused port on the PPC.

If that amp has an EMTA port, you might want to put the phone modem on that port and a ups or battery on the 1672 to maintain a few hours of phone if you loose power, hopefullly the street amps and HFC are on a battery backup.

Yeah, get a good router with visible antenna's, My old linksys get's 300 to 500'' from the house and it's set at factory power...  A 6580 dies outside the house

Proven Sharer

@beermati wrote:

Hi - I am increasing capabilities of in-home network router/switches to support trunking and link aggregations.  Currently, I have the TG1672 16x4 modem and am looking at upgrading to full 1GB modem and can't find any with telephone connection (the MB8600 looks very nice).   So I read that some people will have one modem for internet and then just use something like the TG1672 for phone only.  How is this wired with the incoming coax?  Currently, my inbound coax connects to a PPC EVO 1-5-U/P powered splitter provided by TWC.  One output obviously goes to the cable modem and others to TWC Box locations.  Do I just need to replace/configure the new cable modem with the existing coax and use a separate coax to go to the TG1672 to preserve phone connection?   Thanks for any assistance!

Do you realize that for Spectrum to offer 1 Gig home service here in NE Ohio would require a complete overbuild of their existing network facilities and replacement of all existing Spectrum and customer electronics equipment?  That will in turn make NE OH incompatible with the rest of the Comcast/TWC/Spectrum nationwide operations, and will take nearly a decade to redesign and complete after the owner-investors obtain sufficient capital funding.  If you need Gigabit data aggregation to support your residential internet needs, move to Hudson and sign on to their fiber networks.

Browser

Hi Karl - I am in Austin (not Ohio).   Yes, I realize 1GB probably will never happen.  I am upgrading my NAS and in process will be replacing switches to support better video streaming throughout home.  I am also changing router (maybe a Ubiquiti USG or EdgeRouter Lite) and also want to replace the TG1672.  I'm looking at Motorola MB8600, but sounds like the MB7420 is all I can use now - not sure how to determine if I can go over 16x4.

Proven Sharer

The TG1672 is a VoIP modem and phone service customers are only allowed to use the EMTA modem provided and maintained by the cable/phone company.  Your home phone wiring will be connected to this unit.  You MAY purchase (and maintain) your own separate internet-only data modem selected from Spectrum's list of compatible customer-owned devices, as well as your own Gigabit router with WiFi. 

TWC-->Spectrum needs and presently uses only 8 bonded DS channels to deliver a 300 Mbps internet connection.  Thus buying an internet modem with more than 16 DS channels or more than 4 US channels is a waste of your money; spend it wisely to buy one of the newer, best performing 16x4 models instead. 

I personally suggest the Motorola MB7420 which has Gigabit ethernet and fully supports both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols.  It is on Spectrum's list of approved customer-owned devices for service speeds up to 300 Mbps.  Be sure that all ethernet cables interconnecting your Gigabit devices are CAT-5e or better; oitherwise the connections default back to just 100 Mbps - Fast Ethernet. 

Highlighted
Browser

Thanks for the reply - I will go with the MB7420 and only use TG1672 for phone (which we never use) Smiley Wink