Highlighted
Participant

To upgrade from 100Mbps to 400Mbps, or not? That is the question.

Spectrum offered me the upgrade for $25/month more than the $75/month I am paying now for my 100Mbps (+ minimal TV) service.

I own an older Motorola (not Arris) 6141 that probably won't do 400Mbps.
I'm fairly happy with what I have now.

I could buy an Arris 6190 and try the 400Mbps upgrade, but if I see not much value, can I go back to 100Mbps at my current rate of $75/month and keep using the 6190 modem?

Last thing I want is disconnects and other annoying modem/service issues which I don't have right now.

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: To upgrade from 100Mbps to 400Mbps, or not? That is the question.

Don't bother...

especially if you game...

Newcomer

I updated couple weeks ago.  I do notice a difference.  Am I getting the full Mbps, NO.. not in all the speed tests I have done.  I am getting between 200-350.  ( except for the spectrum speed test which says I am getting 433 Mbps) .  You can always go back to what you have.  By the way, not sure if it is location but 100 Mbps is $65 for me in NY.  Also keep in mind your modem/router will need to be able to handle the higher speeds.

Participant

i say yes the faster speeds is worth it specialy if you play games BUT DO NOT get the 6190 cuz it has the puma6 chipset and that is wat basicly gives all the problems just make sure the modem u get DOES NOT have the puma 6 chipset
and ya the puma7 and puma5 also have a similar problem so dont bother with those modems either
Proven Sharer

The SB6141 is good up to 100 Mbps and will support IPv6 after it receives an online firmware update from Spectrum (might already have received it).   It is located under ARRIS in Spectrum's listing of Devices Approved for Customer Purchase, which is available for viewing on this very forum. 

I would suggest trying that first to see if 100 Mbps is adequate for your needs and friendly to your home budget.  If you opt to go faster, you will need to either rent a faster modem/gateway combo from Spectrum or purchase your own faster modem and separate router with WiFi.

Helper

@DR_Stranger_Who wrote:
i say yes the faster speeds is worth it specialy if you play games BUT DO NOT get the 6190 cuz it has the puma6 chipset and that is wat basicly gives all the problems just make sure the modem u get DOES NOT have the puma 6 chipset
and ya the puma7 and puma5 also have a similar problem so dont bother with those modems either

I have the 400/20 tier, I have the SB6190, and I have zero problems.