Highlighted
Rookie

Time Warner to Spectrum package

I was grandfathered into Spectrum internet.  The package I have is called Extreme Internet.  First question - on my account, nowhere am I seeing what the Mbps rate is for this package.  I believe when things were running through Time Warner, that I was paying $44.99/month for 50 Mbps.  When I do speed tests, I see that I am typically getting between 60-70 Mbps and I am now paying $49.99/month for this.  My question is:  I thought that the minimum offerred by Spectrum was 100 Mbps and that I should be paying $49.99/month for 100.   What do I need to do in order to get the bump to 100 and how is Spectrum allowed to continue giving me less than that while still charging me $49.99?  Very frustrating.   Thanks for any insight or suggestions.  PS - we only have Spectrum for internet service.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Time Warner to Spectrum package

May be because of congestion on bonded channels, or may not have enough channels bonding, etc. May be worth refreshing/resetting the modem to see if it locks a better range of channels. Not talking a simple reboot (though, that may provide a short-term tweaking),but either a refresh through the Spectrum.com account page's troubleshooting section, or manually resetting the modem to factory defaults so it forces a fresh config from the head end.

Basic plans are evolving. In our market, it was originally an "up to" 60mb plan while we were mostly 8ch modems. In reality, it was more like a minimum 25-ish mb, up to about 68mb max.

They gradually transitioned to an "up to" 100mb plan and they started moving people to 16ch modems--but in reality it is about a 60-70mb minimum, up to about 120mb depending on the mix of bonded channels, congestion, and signal quality.

Right now, our market is transitioning to a 200mb tier, requiring a minimum of 16 channels. My neighborhood hasn't qualified yet (got some really old hardware in the ground still... we actually have a few unusable ports in our tombstone). But in sections that are getting it, they are reporting in around 112mb, up to just over 220mb max. Again, depends on the mix of available channels, congestion, and quality of signal. 24ch dramatically increases the odds of maintaining the higher throughput. 32ch is not advised yet here because there are still only up to 31 usable channels in many neighborhoods because channel 1 keeps going **bleep** up on us.

Note that all these plans are for the basic tier... which is like $65 unless it is a bundled or getting some other promotional discount.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Type in your adddress to see what's available and at what price for your area.

https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/ratecard.html

You can always chat or call and ask for more information. 

Right now in most areas 100mbps is $65.99 (as is 200mbps if its available) with another $5 if you use Spectrum wifi. 

If you are satified with your current pricing and performance I would not switch. 

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@reepengland wrote:

I was grandfathered into Spectrum internet.  The package I have is called Extreme Internet.  First question - on my account, nowhere am I seeing what the Mbps rate is for this package.  I believe when things were running through Time Warner, that I was paying $44.99/month for 50 Mbps.  When I do speed tests, I see that I am typically getting between 60-70 Mbps and I am now paying $49.99/month for this.  My question is:  I thought that the minimum offerred by Spectrum was 100 Mbps and that I should be paying $49.99/month for 100.   What do I need to do in order to get the bump to 100 and how is Spectrum allowed to continue giving me less than that while still charging me $49.99?  Very frustrating.   Thanks for any insight or suggestions.  PS - we only have Spectrum for internet service.

A few things:

1.) You MUST be on a Spectrum billing plan to qualify for higher speeds.  If you are still on TWC or a BHN legacy plan, you will only get 50MB max.

2.) You MUST have a qualifying modem and router that is capable of the faster speeds

3.) I still have an older router, but it works like a champ for me, and I don't need speeds about 50MB, nor do I want to pay Spectrum a rental fee for a router or buy one for $60-$70.  For me, a secure router and stable Internet is more important than speed.

4.) Do you qualify as far as #1 and #2 are concerned?  Do you rent or own your own modem/router?  If you qualify with the above, and only if you qualify with the above, you will also need to cold reboot both the modem and the router after changing plans.  Boot the modem first, wait five minutes, than boot the router.

5.) You should also encrypt your Wireless router for security reasons.

Satch

Highlighted
Participant

@reepengland wrote:

I would guess that you are in a grandfathered legacy internet package that will not recive any speed bumps at all. I would call into their cancelation department to see what your options are to uprgrade your internet package.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@reepengland wrote:

Your modem is provisioned for the speed you were subscribed to (in absolute terms in Mbps) at the time of the merger.  You will not see any changes in provisioning unless you migrate to a Spectrum plan.

Your modem MIGHT not be capable of the latest / greatest speeds.  No worry, no more rental fee.  Spectrum will lend you one gratis, as the modem fee is included in their pricing.  Alas, you get no credit for bringing your own.

However, if you are happy with the price you are paying, and do not need a faster internet connection, I'd recommened staying in your seat and not rocking the boat.  Prices you see on-line are probably new customer pricing.  You need to compare retail rates for Spectrum service to the rate you are paying for your legacy TWC service to determine if it's a good deal for you.

I have no plans to leave my legacy $14.99 ELP Internet until they force my hand.

Highlighted
Helper

As everyone here has mentioned...you're grandfathered TWC plan will not receive any of the speed upgrades the Spectrum plans receive. This is done on purpose to entice customers to switch to one of the current Spectrum plans.  You're getting 60-70 Mbps because the 50 Mbps plan is overprovisioned by 20% or so. 

In order to get the Spectrum minimum speeds (100 or 200 Mbps depending where you live) you must switch to a Spectrum plan.