Expert

Re: Thoughts on my signal? Widely varying download speeds.

Netgear and Belkin routers are notorious for having issues above 100 megs as well as some of the ebay china cat 5 e cables that are counterfeit, made from old grey cat 3 and usually have a black jacket molded over the grey...

Observer

I'm not sure what may or may not have been solved, but I have been consistently getting ~24MBPS for the past week or so (paying for 20MBPS).  The signal levels remain a bit low @5-6 dBmV considering I have a dedicated single run to my modem, but I guess that's still considered in-spec.  The uncorrected codewords have remained at the same level they were 4 days ago. It seems that when I reboot the modem (which I have not done in 4 days), there are occurences of uncorrected codewords indicating broadcast or cell infiltration within the first couple minutes but then that;s it until the next time.  That seems odd; I would expect the numbers to increase.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.  I guess I'll be back if problems resurface.

Expert

If your levels with no splitters is at +5 that's normal, but at -5 that's low for no splitter

What is upstream?

It should be in the +25  to +44 dBmv range

As for startup errors.

Some correcteds/ uncorrecteds are normal at startup if there's anything connected  to the modem which tries to pass data while it's still not autolevelled.

that's usually 500-1000 hits per channel on the motorola modems.  It's normal. The other modems that stay at 0 keep data inhibited  until fully levelled.

Observer

Upstream, the four channels are showing 39-40 dBmV.

Proven Sharer

@KYKP wrote:

with more frequencies now it may help out to actually replace the RG6 line with RG11 they don't use RG6 anylonger. 

TWC may be using only RG-11 in your local area, but they installed brand new RG-6QS cable last week at my northeast Ohio residence, the same as they used several years ago to replace my 95 ft street drop that was full of water. 

The new data channels TWC is adding were formerly analog TV slots in the  660 to 870 MHz range, not new slots above 1 GHz.  In the external world the FCC  allocated those frequencies for 4G LTE cellphone, 700 and 800 MHz public safety systems, typically your first responder statewide radio networks.