Observer

Re: Thoughts on my signal? Widely varying download speeds.

I'm positive.  I wired the house myself 13 years ago and ran a single RG6 cable from the outside of my house to my office closet where I have my cable, phone, router, modem, NAS etc.  

I'll take a look at there box if I can get in it.  Should I insist they come out and boost the signal a bit?

Expert

I wonder if they ran out of ports on the street tap off you're on an put a splitter there for neighbors...

Is this overhead or underground?

You could also have a rodent chewed overhead or underground line full of water.

Participant

with more frequencies now it may help out to actually replace the RG6 line with RG11 they don't use RG6 anylonger. 

Observer

My feed is an undeground feed. I opened the box at the street (not locked surprisingly) and in fact found what appears to be a 4-port device with one port not terminated.  I had some extra termination caps and capped off the open one. As you can see, I am th only customer being fed off this box.

I came inside and visited the modem page in my browser and was somewhat surprised to find that the power readings had not changed at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24yipd3ovhf2pvw/2017-01-27%2021.31.25.jpg?dl=0

DownstreamBonding Channel Value

Channel ID23 24 27 28 29 30 31 32 
Frequency711000000 Hz 717000000 Hz 735000000 Hz 741000000 Hz 747000000 Hz 753000000 Hz 759000000 Hz 765000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 
Downstream ModulationQAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
-5 dBmV  -5 dBmV  -5 dBmV  -6 dBmV  -5 dBmV  -5 dBmV  -6 dBmV  -6 dBmV  
Participant

Ya it really shouldn't ....  If that was the issue your SNR would have been < 28

Participant

-5/-6 is slightly low but acceptable is between 10 and -10 so that shouldn't be affected....  bad drop or rusted connector would be my guess....  

Observer

My speeds have been reasonably stable at 23-25MBPS for the last couple days after I reset the router to factory settings and then updated the firmware, but there are periods where is drops off.  When that happens I have looked at my signals page and noticed no changes.  I'm using a Netgear R7000 so it's a good box, but even good boxes have problems at times.  I'm not sure what else to look at since I am within specs and find no physical damage.

Highlighted
Expert

Needs twc out, I bet the underground line is chewed up/ damaged... How far from the pedestal is it to the house?

Some directional couplers don't seem to degrade mush with an open or shorted port, But it's an unknown from device to device and for optimum port isolation specs, all ports need a 75 ohm resistive load on them

Proven Sharer

If you don't trust the router, plug your computer directly into the modem's ethernet port and run SpeedTest that way and compare results. I doubt that the router itself is at fault. Could be WiFi interference though.
Observer

I see that you mention the R7000.  Yeah, it's a great router, but it can eventually get bogged down when QOS is in use on higher throughput connections.  If you're running QOS, try turning it all off, including WMM, and see how it fares.  I can't recall which things I disabled to improve intermittent speed issues, but it was related to QOS with the stock firmware on the R7000.  I want to say it was both WMM checkboxes and possibly the downstream QOS that I disabled, leaving only upstream QOS enabled--that was at my parents' house on a 200/20 connection.

I also have an R7000 with DD-WRT (which already hurts the throughput compared to stock firmware) and even though it's overclocked 40%, it gets bogged down with too many QOS rules in place.

You absolutely could have an issue unrelated to your router, but since you mentioned that it was intermittent and was corrected when you took the router out of the equation (as I noticed when troubleshooting an R7000 on a 200/20 connection), I wanted to mention that I would've described it in the same way as you did, but that was my solution.  It could have been a coincidence that the issue was corrected for you when wired, but if it were me, I would do more lengthy troubleshooting to determine if it was a coincidence or not.

EDIT:  

Of course, this is all assuming that you know you're capable of receiving 200+ mbps on the device you're using, and have seen that speed on that device with the wireless/wired connection before.