Seasoned Contributor

Re: TWC Maxx

end of 2017? Wow... I hope I have some options by then... that's close to 2 years away...

Seasoned Contributor

Wait a second... so, the all-digital conversion will be done at the end of June, and only then can speed increases start. So pretty much no one in Cincinnati has the speed increases yet. Not every one will get them, and those who do may need to wait nearly 2 years to see anything. Is that correct?

Reading these forums posts, I don't think I'm the only one who was mislead by the letters from Time Warner.

Expert

The all digital conversion has little to do with Maxx.

All that's needed is 16 downstream channels which we've had for at least 6 months here in Northern ohio and there are still 30 analog channels on the coax.

TWC had the new 711-760 mHz channels on for a couple weeks and had to pull them off the CM's because of the 4G LTE and LMR ingress and has to clean up all the 40 year old street cable/ amps

The issue is the CMTS's loading and actually, going all digital makes it worst since the customers that don't like the horrible DTA's will add dvr/ full STB's and load the cmts even more or go with IPTV type non coaxial Smart tv options which further load the cmts-server-fiber capacities down. There is a lot of stuff that TWC tries to market with non technical and more or less wrong/ misleading terminology.

Look at the present commercials:

They dropped the s"speeds up to 100" ads, changed to "speeds up to 50" Then dropped those, now it's the "wifi POWER for all your devices"

Then there's "TV everywhere" which doesn't work anywhere other than your house and of course the stupid bundle pricing for new customers that they local insert on existing TWC customers channels (set up an on air ATSC receiver, a DirecTv receiver and a TWC STB side by side to see the inserted commercial differences)

UPDATE: They just ran a new commercial and TWC WIFI is now "Crazy Fast"Woman LOL

Expert

Cable Qam was designed 20+ years ago and was never designed for streaming video, HDTV, DVR's or the HD resolution peer to peer gaming. It was also designed to use now 45 year old Coaxial cable.

TWC is also still using 5-45 mHz upstream and hasn't upgraded to 5-88 mHz upstream. That requires all the docsis 1 and 2 devices hit the landfills and all the outside plant amps be changed out as well as any 5-45/54-1000 mhz inhouse amplifiers to 5-88/100-1000 split amps.

TWC or whoever buys them will go FIOS before that  ever happens as part of a "GigaSpeed" service tier

Seasoned Contributor

Wow... sounds pretty bad. So, is any hope of speed increase even likely, even after 2 years?

Expert

OH/KY/WV/IN/ western PA got put on hold because of the Comcast sale, now that it's off, they're back working on MAXX and general outside plant issues. The unofficial timeline is all major metropolitan areas this year and all the US by the end of 2017.

TWC is also openning a US call center in Canton Oh with 30 or so CSR's as we speak.

Hopefully service & billing not sales...

Highlighted
Observer

How about the Greensboro market? Specifically 27048. I called 2 weeks ago to cancel my video services and kept internet only. I was told they had a meeting that day and said we would be active by the end of April. Which at this point looks like a long shot.

Expert

IF you have a 16 ch modem and only see 8 downstream channels, it's going to be a while

Observer

Well maybe it wont be long then.

16 Channels

Expert

You have problems, your upstream is on the high end and the downstream has corrected/ uncorrected errors.