Browser

TWC 230Mbps -(200Mb plan) ---> Spectrum 140Mbps (300 Mb plan)

Waiting on a 2nd tech visit.  On the TWC 200Mb plan I consistently got 230Mbps.  The very moment my account was switched to Spectrum and their Ultra 300Mb plan, my speed dropped to 140Mbps.  

Connecting direct to the modem is getting 280Mbps.  So must be the router, a Linksys N900 or cables - CAT-5e.

But how was this SAME router/cables able to pull 230Mbps when on the TWC network?  To be clear, this is all hard-wired - no WiFi.

15 REPLIES 15
Contributor

Re: TWC 230Mbps -(200Mb plan) ----------> Spectrum 140Mbps (300 Mb plan)

Linksys N900 and CAT-5e both capable of Gigabit speed. Not sure how TWC provisioned your modem.

Browser

Re: TWC 230Mbps -(200Mb plan) ---> Spectrum 140Mbps (300 Mb plan)

three different contacts including "advanced" support agree the provisioning is correct - for Spectrum anyway.

The only real change is that I'm now a "Spectrum" account.  

...and yes to Gigabit - I get about 980Mbps copying between machines that are connected to that router directly or via a Gigabit switch.

Highlighted
Expert

where are you?

copy and paste a tracert to google.com and your signal level and error log pages, don't reset the modem, I' hope the reprovisioning history is still there....

. Also, check your bill and make sure there's not a $199 "upgrade" fee on it...

Browser

SB-6183 channels
Log

Sunday - moved to Spectrum

Tuesday- tech on site diagnosing issue

Expert

You have a verizon phone and it's causing ingress and errors in the modem. Something is corroded or loose

Browser

Interesting.  I don't have a Verizon phone, just Vonage.

Expert

777 & 783 mHz are verizons nationwide handset transmit freq bands.. Are you in an apartment?

might be the neighbors...

I don't think Vonage uses verizons network, more like down on the 699 mHz bank.

Were you on the phone when the modem had the 3 banks of errors show up after 8am?

Browser

Well, not sure what band the ADT cell box uses - forgot about it.

However, the tech showed up at 8am sharp today and began testing cables from the outside head -> side of house -> attic -. office.  So until about 9am it was being repeatedly connected/disconnected.

The amazing part is that his equipment showed somewhat significant db loss and lots of noise on the line.  To show how resilient the TWC network was, I got 230Mbps down SOLID for nearly 2 years in that envionment.  

I wonder what this is:

Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=6c:ca:08:72:ff:a8;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:77:a6:5a;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

It's tagged as an "error"

Expert

17.8 17.9 are normal during a restart as well as Tlv transmit levelling.

If they saw excessive loss and noise and found a bad connection or open splitters, it may be repaired... see if you can reset the sig page correcteds to 0 and look at them again in a few hours.

I don't know if the ADT alarms are freq agile, the verizon service in the high 760's has only been up for 2 years, if the alarm is newer than that, it may be on the 4G band rather than the older 1800-2000 band or it may be dual band.

It also shouldnt create that many errors. looks more like 3 phone calls unless you set and reset the alarm at those times. CPAP machines have cell modems in them as well as Gas, electric and water meters that have the outside box or a ITOH telemetry module in them

If you have coax on a wall plate connector, make sure the connector on the backside is a tad more than finger tight.

If you think connections get better with time... they don't, especially outside. Hope they replaced the grounding block and connectors there and at the pole....