Rookie

T3/T4 timeouts

A few weeks ago I started receiving T3/T4 timeouts that occur somewhat randomly every day or so. My internet has had zero issues before this and my ping/download/upload speeds are completely normal. 

Here is a screenshot of my modem's signal levels:

Any help or ideas as to what the issue is will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Proven Sharer

Re: T3/T4 timeouts

In simple terms, a T3 timeout message means that your modem has lost downstream communications on one or more of the DS channels assigned to it for your internet connection.  The signal loss could be for up to 3 seconds, and the modem remains connected and looking for the signal to return at its previous level.  The T4 timeout message denotes an extended loss of signal for more than three seconds, which requires the modem to drop and reconnect with the headend CMTS. 

Looking at the number of uncorrectable errors on DS channnel 27, I would suspect that interference on that data channel is causing the modem to lose sync and declare the dropout errors.  The FCC has licensed that channel frequency nationwide for 4G LTE cellphone use, though I can't recall to which wireless company.  If a cell tower has been erected in your neighborhood, or if you or someone in your home recently changed their cellular network provider, you're a victim of signal ingress leakage that Spectrum is required to identify, locate, and resolve.

Rookie

Since my problems are intermittent(maybe once or twice a day, only losing connection for a few minutes) would a tech be able to detect where the leakage is and fix it or would I simply be wasting his time since the issue would likely not be present during the visit? Outside of these random disconnects my internet is perfectly fine. 

And thank you for the assistance.

Established Sharer

It would be a crap shoot with the home tech -- s/he probably would not be looking at just the right time to pick up on your problem.  What you could try instead is have Spectrum monitor your line (I think they'll do up to 30 days of monitoring) and see if they agree that you've got an actionable issue.

Rookie

I reached out to spectrum who've said they cannot help me since I am using my own equipment. They also said they couldn't see any T3/T4 timeouts on their logs despite them appearing on my modem's page. What can be done at this point? It just seems like they want to blame my equipment and call it a day. Is it possible these errors can occur due to a faulty modem? I'm using an SB6183.

Lead Moderator

Good morning! 

Are you able to post the modem logs here? 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Helper

@thederm wrote:

I reached out to spectrum who've said they cannot help me since I am using my own equipment. They also said they couldn't see any T3/T4 timeouts on their logs despite them appearing on my modem's page. What can be done at this point? It just seems like they want to blame my equipment and call it a day. Is it possible these errors can occur due to a faulty modem? I'm using an SB6183.

Copy and paste your modem logs and signal levels page here. It could be something obvious.  Also, a faulty modem is very rarely the cause...more likely damaged coax, loose connections, water, etc.

Rookie

So strangely enough, the issue seems to have largely subsided seemingly on its own. Since my recent post of about a week ago there has only been one T3 timeout which I assume is fairly normal to have every now and then(please correct me if I'm wrong)? If this continues to hold I guess there really isn't any reason for me to fret.

Here is a screenshot of what the logs would look like when I was frequently experiencing the issue:

Capture.JPG

Here is a screenshot of my signals after about 12 hours of uptime:

Capture.JPG

Helper

In my experience things rarely get better on their own. Could be that it was a main line issue that the line crews fixed.