Participant

Re: Still having terrible speeds- fluctuates- 4 months running

Okay, changed ping plotter to 10 seconds. 
Also, that second pic with the white on it- that's the bldg next to mine, it IS the middle part of the cord. Some has been chipped away. Looks like some plastic stuff wrapped around the inner part of the wiring. 

I took this pic of the middle of that pedastal thing as well (had a hard time getting it back on because the wires poured all out of it and was hard to get them to hold all in there):

http://imgur.com/aOkva2r

Participant

Also, not sure what this means, but with a 10 sec ping, the pings to google keep jumping up to 500-1000ms every few mins, but when I test when I see the spikes currently, I get speeds like this below but with a really high variance in speeds.

Expert

@jboze3131 wrote:

Okay, changed ping plotter to 10 seconds. 
Also, that second pic with the white on it- that's the bldg next to mine, it IS the middle part of the cord. Some has been chipped away. Looks like some plastic stuff wrapped around the inner part of the wiring. 

I took this pic of the middle of that pedastal thing as well (had a hard time getting it back on because the wires poured all out of it and was hard to get them to hold all in there):

http://imgur.com/aOkva2r

BINGO! 

Looks like the hardline failed so they abandonned it and ran the orange cables from somewhere else to splitters putting you at the mercy of whoever is on the other splitter ports as well as that skinned cable at the next building. What you're seeing there is no outer jacket, no shield and exposed poly foam insulation.. Yes a bad thing for ingress to get in

Participant

Perhaps a dumb question, but I have the tech coming tomorrow at 2pm (I assumed before he had seen this mess), how do I approach this? Do I just say that someone in the time warner cable forums suggested this is likely the culprit? Will they even go in and replace all these cables (I imagine that would take a lot of time and money)? I just don't understand how, when 3 previous visits, they wouldn't have said- wait, this has to be the issue. I assumed from the look of it that that wasn't the proper way to do it...

I looked again after taking that pic, and there are areas along the bottom of the building where there are black coax cables buried, then a stretch where they are above ground, then going back underground (all in the dirt close to the buildings). Some units have cables going straight into the brick into the wall...I didn't see anything like that in my unit- no cables going directly into my brick at all. It all looked kind of poorly put together in general. 

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this is the issue and they can replace it all or do whatever they need to do to get it working properly. 

Participant

Also, I'm not really sure which cables are feeding which buildings- there are a lot of them going all over into and out of that pedestal thing. I wasn't exactly certain I was supposed to be messing with it, so I did all of it quickly as it was then replaced as quickly as possible. That and for some reason my brain was convinced there was power going to this area somewhere and  I would likely be electrocuted Smiley Happy   

Expert

@jboze3131 wrote:

Perhaps a dumb question, but I have the tech coming tomorrow at 2pm (I assumed before he had seen this mess), how do I approach this? Do I just say that someone in the time warner cable forums suggested this is likely the culprit? Will they even go in and replace all these cables (I imagine that would take a lot of time and money)? I just don't understand how, when 3 previous visits, they wouldn't have said- wait, this has to be the issue. I assumed from the look of it that that wasn't the proper way to do it...

I looked again after taking that pic, and there are areas along the bottom of the building where there are black coax cables buried, then a stretch where they are above ground, then going back underground (all in the dirt close to the buildings). Some units have cables going straight into the brick into the wall...I didn't see anything like that in my unit- no cables going directly into my brick at all. It all looked kind of poorly put together in general. 

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this is the issue and they can replace it all or do whatever they need to do to get it working properly. 

They need to rpair the chewed up cable for a syart as well as tighten/ replace connectors in both boxes, It looks like there's really old hex crimped connectors on a splitter to the right.

This need the boom truck guys and an underground wiring contractor to put in new hardline.

I'll bet there's othe r damaged lines... But, this might not fix your problem....

Participant

Ugh. So the tech came out, insisted it was wifi numerous times, I printed out my signal levels from the CMTS that one of the agents sent me going all the way back to April- I had a good 2dbmv signal downstream...in day in April it shot up to 7, and since then the lowest I've seen is 6dbmv downstream. I thought this was good info to have - why 2 and 3dbmv before that day and 6 and above after? He didn't even want to see the paper, basically ignored what I was saying. 

He put a meter on the line and I took a pic when he went outside to get a splitter- this is what it showed:

He said that was pretty good...mostly within regs, but he put a splitter on the line and came back in and said only 1 channel was currently showing in the red and that my bit error was fine...said that billions of bits of data had been sent and only 11 had been dropped? Not sure what he was measuring exactly. 

He said without his meter showing red throughout, he could not get maintencance to do anything. He said he would get one of the maintenance guys to check to see if there was something called an AGC issue...something about it raising the signal if temps got too low or lowering it if temps got too high. 

I also told him about all the mess of wires outside three times, and he ignored that...I did say that apt owners never want to pay to run new lines or that it's often a hassle to get them to make any changes on their property, but that was unrelated to my mentioning the mess of wires with tons of splitters. I also told him about the wire in the next bldg over with the shielding cut off of it, but he ignored that as well. 

He changed my wifi channel to a higher freq saying that someone else was on top of my signal before he changed it, and that was causing a lot of the issue (it's not the cause, because I always hardwire into the router or modem or both to ensure wifi is not the problem). 

He did give me his number and said if I notice it drops out again to call him, that way he can rush over, put this $8,000 meter on it then if it shows red on all channels, only then can maintenance be called out. 

I figured just the mess of wires with 10 splitters downstairs would be reason enough alone to send someone out to check all those wires, replace, whatever, but I guess not. He said maybe now that charter has taken over, things will get better? Frustrating to continue to pay for a service that consistently goes from good to terrible and no one from the company is able to even try to resolve it. 

Participant

Perhaps good news...I tweeted to TWC help 2 of the photos of the wiring mess, and they said that orange lines are supposed to only be temporary and that they will send someone out to replace those and leave it the way it should be. 

Maybe progress?

Established Sharer

He said that was pretty good

Not so... anything over 10 is bad (that's why it's red on his meter), and those 9.x levels are on the hairy edge of bad.

He said without his meter showing red throughout, he could not get maintencance to do anything.

That may be true, the local policy may be "do nothing until the power levels are completely in the toilet", but that would be a lousy policy.

see if there was something called an AGC issue

That would be Automatic Gain Control, which is a feature of the amplifier on the main line.  It is supposed to compensate for local conditions, temperature swings in particular.  This requires the line crew to fix (bucket truck team), the home techs can't touch it.

He said maybe now that charter has taken over, things will get better?

Only if Charter/Spectrum replaces him and every other former TWC employee who insists that shoddy service is "good enough".

Thanks for taking the picture, it was very helpful.

Expert

I'll bet they turned the level way up to make up for the excessive loss in the orange coax compared to the hardline they abandonned.

I'd suggest you rent a TWC modem and then at least get 8-16 channel;s

These techs have no clue about the 4 channel modems limited acceptance bandwidth.