Participant

Re: Still having terrible speeds- fluctuates- 4 months running

Based on all of this (all over my head) should I cancel my Wednesday tc? I don't want to waste time especially at 8am...I could try a16 channel ds modem like the 6183...
Participant

Actually I'm pretty sure the modem routers twc leases are only 8 channels? I thought the one i had was equivalent to the 6141.

I'll try anything to fix this issue
Expert

No, you have a 4x4 modem, like a 6121, TWC has quit leasing them. A bunch showed up surplus, some marked "do not use on a 8-16 ch CMTS"... they only were designed to cover 4 full channels at a 30 mHz spread

a 6141 is an 8x4 and has a widely acceptance bandwidth that easily covers a 16 channel spread of 96 mHz

The 6190/92 has a full 88-1002 mHz acceptance.

TWC is sorta correct to blame your modem, but they should restrict all 4x4's to adjacent channelsa only, lol Woman Sad

Participant

I mean before I was leasing a twc one... Pretty sure it was equivalent to the 6141 with a router built in. An 8x4...I then bought my own and was told 6121 was fine when I contacted customer support. The 6141 says 8ds channels on the box... But it will cover 16 total which is acceptable? I tried the 6141 for two weeks but had the same issue so took it back to Walmart. Do I need to try the n next one up? The 6183?

Sorry for the confusion. Trying to do this on my phone Smiley Happy
Expert

Ok, I only saw the 6121 level page. Post the 6141's level and log, DON'T reset it first!

I doubt throwing modems at signal or overloaded node will solve your problem.

What do tracert's to google.com look like?

Participant

Sorry. I meant I took the 6141 back. This was two months ago. I picked up a6141 tested for two weeks... Still had the same fluctuations in speed all the time. Just wanted to try to rule out a modem issue. I don't think I screen capped any of the 6141 logs unfortunately.

Participant

I will have to see if the issue persists tonight in a few hours when I'm off work
Expert

Overloaded nodes show up in certain time frames, equipment malfunctions not as much, however heavy node loading will make equipment issues look worst and equipment and line issues will overload the node

Ping plotter can display node/ hop overloading

corrected/uncorrected : total bytes show eqt/ line issues

Participant

I have 3 days off in a row each week. I'd see the issues with both modems various times of day. Morning, non, evening, overnight... Keep a weird schedule those days so I've seen it slow down to almost nothing throughout the day.

I just googled ping plotter. I will DL that tonight. I once ran a perpetual test a couple months ago on,i think, test my.net where it would speed test every hour or something... Saw massive slowdowns all day long, various periods.

I had one of the agents here send me dm's on this and he noted everyone on my node had signals all over the place. I will look that info you when I get home too... Maybe seeing all the signals all over the spectrum would suggest one issue over another?
Expert

when you set up ping plotter, add in the min and max columns in the display tab at the top....don't ping more than every 5 or 10 seconds

If the avg is close to the min, you're doing good

The graphs will show the TOD patterns but you might need to set it to ping every 30 seconds

At least in the free version