Participant

Re: Still having terrible speeds- fluctuates- 4 months running

Yeah it's only two floors With units on each side so I think eight units. The only utility room is pretty far away with the washers and dryers so had to be line from the pole.

I'm not sure if I mentioned but the guy said he had line maintenance come out but they never told me if they find issues or if resolved.
Expert

Your latest tracert indicxates there still is a problem. Can you use another device to verify those numbers?

Look at the pole where cable is tapped off for your building. Does it have one big line or a bunch of small lines hoing to the tap?

(a picture is worth a thousand words)

Participant

I will try from my laptop again. I tried that before and always had the same issue...I'd have to run in the living room, hardwire the laptop to the modem and test to ensure the problem wasn't specific to one PC. I will test again when I can get a chance. 

I will take a picture of the line going in. Might not be till wednesday just because the way my work schedule is and the lack of light when I leave and when I get back home. Don't think I ever looked to see before, but it should be easy enough.

I have been home an hour or so and tested several times...see no slowdowns tonight. Maxing out near 20mbps each test from speedof.me

Thanks again. 

Expert

Maybe someone fixed something down the street somewhere.

Woman LOL

Participant

Ha. I try not to get my hopes up. This has happened so many times. I think the problem is somehow gone, then a week later, I get a day or two of speeds so slow I can barely even test them to begin with. Up and down, up and down.

I definitely won't cancel my trouble call this time, however...hopefully the guy doesn't think I'm insane when the problem doesn't show up the day of.
Participant

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it- does it tell me anything that I have great speeds all night, but I have checked my signal levels a few times, and each time they have been stuck at all 4 channels at 8dbmv? 

Why does that signal strength sometimes mean terrible speeds, sometimes great speeds. It seems like they would be much lower tonight (closer to 0) with no issues for a few hours....?

Expert

You should only see levels change slowly over temperature. If they do sudden hops, something is wrong, usually on another port of a splitter or the pole tap you're on

Proven Sharer

I see that the downstream channel getting hosed is the 824 to 830 MHz slot. I would suspect the transmit side of a nearby SMR-mobile (TRBO or Nextel unless in SE USA, then it's SouthernLinc) spraying in through a broken connector. Also could be a bootleg unregistered cellular BDA gone bananas. This one will be harder to locate than most. 

As far as DS levels of +8 go, that number is just strength of SOMETHING coming into the modem. It includes the ingress interference as well as desired signal from the head end.

Expert

The problem is the modem can't handle the wide space between channels, the 4x4 modems must have 4 adjacent channels, if there's interference on the skipped channels between, the modem's DSP gets horribly confused and slows down, the settling time I believe is the actual issue.

the 16-32 channel modems have eliminated the issue, the 8's are pretty good but the 4's stink, You can look at the manufacturers "acceptance bandwidth" specs I posted earlier

We had a similar issue here with local access analog NTSC channels affecting the s/n and correcteds on the adjacent qam modem channels when the local access ran over 100% modulation and also had 180 hz 3 phase ac power ripple thanks to horrible building wiring and 2 seperate electrical services and illegal neutral to ground bonds in the generator and UPS

We fixed the data channels by adding a video isolation transformer as well as audio isolation transformers to lift the video and audio ground loops, cleaning up the picture and then notified the church 's vidiographer to back down his white and yellow levels on his recordings. ( I had to loan them my Tektronixs waveform monitor and vectorscope and was able to see the out of spec levels on a locally connected set top box, It was even worst at the output of their switcher to agile modulators at the head end, both the NTSC and the clear Qam modulators.

Any noisy/ ATSC video or NTSC video ingress or QAM level differences more than 1dB on a channel between provisioned ones seriously slows down the DSP's settling time. 4 and 8 channels with skips other than a single channel assigned to ch1 which is the "home" slot indicates a potential problem on the skipped channels.

Expert

@karlbeckman wrote:

As far as DS levels of +8 go, that number is just strength of SOMETHING coming into the modem. It includes the ingress interference as well as desired signal from the head end.

Correct. The ingress issue is difficult to analyze because both level and s/n values are created by the DSP chip, there in no real analog measurement in the QAM 256 "constellation", s/n and DS level can vary by 6 dB between manufacturers . What I look for is high correcteds/ uncorrecteds compared to the adjacent channels and then look up the relative broadcast tv channels for that area, if below 699 mHz . 699 and up are problematic but usually the 4GLTE channels are degraded by the subscribers personal LTE device.

700-800 LMR trunking and the repurposed Nextel, wireline- non wireline cellular bands are more problematic as I only have a  bank of 6 mHz windows and each could contain 1000's of licensees

TWC's field techs aren't trained and don't have the proper equipment to identify ingress source and have donmee little to mitigate egress issues, just drive around town with a 445.250 mHz receiver, lol.