Not applicable

Splitter Options?

Has anyone used a splitter to both use a wifi router AND hardwire out to a PC?

I think the installer used CAT6 cable, vs CAT5' sound right?

I have checked amazon. Will keep checking for the right one, but thought I'd seek some feedback. Modem is technicolor DPC3216.

Thx.

j

2 REPLIES 2
Helper

Re: Splitter Options?

@discdemowrote:

Has anyone used a splitter to both use a wifi router AND hardwire out to a PC?

I think the installer used CAT6 cable, vs CAT5' sound right?

I have checked amazon. Will keep checking for the right one, but thought I'd seek some feedback. Modem is technicolor DPC3216.

Thx.

j

Are you trying to split the ethernet from the modem to have one leg go to a router and one leg go to a PC? This will cause problems. You would want to run directly from the modem to the router, then connect all devices to the router. You can connect a switch to the router as well to expand the network.

Or are you trying to split the coax and have one leg to the DPC3216 voice/data modem for the phone only and the other leg to a dedicated data modem to which a router and all your internet devices would connect? This is possible as long as you have Spectrum provision the 3216 for voice only.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Splitter Options?

If you are renting an all-in-one EMTA gateway box from Spectrum, that unit has a built-in network switch with three or four ethenet ports available, as well as the WiFi radios. 

NOTES:  Customers are not allowed to provide their own EMTA (telephone) modem. 

Your PC software may not allow you to connect to the same network using both WiFi and a wired connection at the same time, especially true if you are using a VPN. 

And CAT-5e cable is designed for up to a Gigabit service connection. 

The 2-way splitter you need is sold at most home improvement stores for under $10.  It should be rated from 5 MHz up to at least 1002 MHz  (aka  1 GHz), higher is OK.