egk
Contributor

Re: Speed is much slower than advertised

I'm also in the Ithaca Market.  You've just been cheated by false advertising.    The Time Warner Connect website apparently didnt get the memo from the Charter bean counters that the Maxx speed upgrades didn't happen in June as scheduled.

I have The Extreme, 30 Mbps plan and it was supposed to go to 200 with the Maxx upgrade.  That didn't happen but my account page online still says I have Ultimate 200 and I can upgrade to Ultimate 300 (up to 300Mbps download) for just $10 more.    Neither plan exists here and it annoys me every time I go on their web page.

Helper

Annoying, they made us swap out modems, etc.. then went silent, dishonorable conduct. I am going to find out if they breaking their agreement with FCC to continue to charge lease fees, as well.
Spectrum Employee

Much frustration expressed in this topic.  I have some helpful suggestions, if I may, from my direct experience in resolving many many such issues over the years.

Here are some key questions each of y'all need to ask of TWC/Charter by calling in (or chat):

• What are your paying for for upstream & downstream, in Mbps (millions of bits per second).  I mean like what exactly is coded in the billing system for you specifically.  If this is at all unclear what you pay for, please call and ask us.

• While you are confirming that, have the CSR agent assisting you check the actual speeds provisioned on the modem  (i.e.: 50 Mbps down & 5 Mbps up is actually about 61.44 Mbps down & 6.144 Mbps up, just like how a bridge in civil engineering is designed to handle more load than the listed max weight).  If the billing system is correct, and the modem just hasn't gotten the memo to update its bootfile; it is very VERY simple fix to send that modem a "hit" (command signal from the server) to update it.  Takes like a few seconds to send the hit, and a few minutes for the modem to respond and reboot.
    It would be wise to also check upsteam and downsteam signal levels (measured in dBmV), to make sure there aren't outstanding issues.

• If  a. the modem is capable of Maxx (i.e.: a DOCSIS 2.0 modem isn't), b. you are in a Maxx area (ask when you call it in if unsure), and you are still getting say.... capped at 100 Mbps when you have 200 down 30 up.... then you need to check your DEVICES themselves.  I'm talking about the Wireless (WiFi) or Wired (ethernet) NICs themselves being limited.  So for example, let's say you have a "Fast Ethernet NIC" in a desktop, you will NEVER get faster than 100 Mbps with that NIC, period; you'd need a gigabit NIC instead (which is capable of up to 1000 Mbps).  (PS: WiFi is even more complicated because of co-channel, adjacent-channel, and noise interferences, which is why they always ask if you can ethernet wire in directly to the modem when troubleshooting speed problems).

• Speeds that are just slightly less than the "up to ____ Mbps" you are quoted in billing is OK, in peak traffic hours (late afternoon to early evening); but 60 Mbps when to get 300 Mbps... something is holding back.  Sometimes is the service, sometimes the weakest link is the device itself.  Proper troubleshooting should be able to determine which.
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

Read the replies, he has 50/5 service provisioned in the modem...

If he had a card/ ip issue, he'd see 50/20  as the max speed on ethernet would be capped at 50, the upstream would go up to 50 as well.

Copy and paste the signal level page, let's make sure that's okay as well... There are a lot of sublime issues that affect speed as well as the actual provisioned speed.

Spectrum Employee

I read the replies to which an assumption was made.

The advice suggested can help more than just the topic poster.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Rookie

I just had the same issue in Schenectady County.  MyAccount webpage offered me an upgrade to 300mbps for an extra $10/month.  I'm currently getting 30mbps, so I clicked to accept the offer.  Order confirmation email also says "Ultimate (Up to 300mbps)".  Noticed I was only getting ~50mbps, but I only had an 8x4 modem (my own SB6141), so I purchased a Zoom 5370. 

After spending 2 hours on the phone last night getting TWC to properly activate my new modem, I noticed it was still only connected to 8 channels giving me 50mpbs down.  I mentioned this to the "tech" (who didn't even understand the concept of a modem using channels), and then she said her system showed that I only had a 50mbps plan, not 300mpbs. 

Since she couldn't help me, she transferred my call to another department, who told me that my "area was scheduled for upgrade to 300mbps sometime in the next several months."  As infuriating as that answer was, given the false advertising on the website, she was polite and (seemed) helpful.  Now I'm reading that these upgrades have been cancelled, and I've just about had it.  We're probably going to buy a new house soon, and having FIOS connectivity has just become a lot more important.

Newcomer

Does this mean they are not gonna go through with the upgrade or is it just on hold?

egk
Contributor

@venM5 wrote:

Does this mean they are not gonna go through with the upgrade or is it just on hold?

The original TWC Maxx upgrades were canceled by Charter.   Those were the 200 and 300M speed updates.   Charter/Spectrum plans to instead offer their own upgrades reportedly 60 and 100 sometime next year.  

It's pretty crappy in comparison to TWC's plans but the merger changed things.  I just wish they'd quit adertising Maxx and saying people have Ultimate 200 and Ultimate 300 plans on their accounts page.